Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SLR handguard

Feedback Score

SLR handguard

Hello, got a question for anyone who could answer. Picking out some parts for my next build a 14.5” 5.56. Was talking to the local gunsmith and mentioned I wanted to pick up a SLR handguard and he highly advised against it. Mainly saying the small anti rotation that sits on the gas tube technically dosnt make it free float and was saying it will affect my accuracy horribly. This can’t be true is it for something that small? I’m not looking to shoot dimes with this by any means. But 300 yards and in but he made it sound like I wouldn’t even be on paper. Like I said I highly doubt it will affect THAT much. But has any noticed ANY accuracy issues due it this feature? Thanks everyone. Kinda new still and y’all have been great.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    First, I have ARs with non-freefloat handguards and see no evidence of precision being affected horribly.

Second, what anti-rotation tabs sit on the gastube?
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    SLR have a very small anti rotation that has a groove that the gas tube goes through. I don’t think it actually touches but it’s a very small space so I could see how it might “sit” on the tube. Tried to upload a pic but wasn’t allowing me.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Your local gunsmith has no idea what he is talking about. SLR is good stuff. I own and have installed several of these rails on some very accurate rifles. The gas tube has nothing to do with what the barrel does when a round is fired. Hence the gas block hanging off the end of the barrel would make the gun way less accurate than the SLR anti rotation pin if you wanna use that "gunsmith's" argument.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I agree with CoryCop25. SLR Makes excellent stuff. The antirotation piece is not going to effects accuracy. I dont think its the most elegant solution but it is what it is. His gas blocks are top notch and I love all the different rail lengths he offers. That being said I have one of his older rails (2017) and the anodizing is very soft and scratches easier than only other piece of anodized aluminum I own. For that reason I dont think I would by another one.
    nawai

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That 'smith is full o' crap.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by colt107 View Post
    But has any noticed ANY accuracy issues due it this feature?
    I have not.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    I have SLR hand guards on a couple rifles, they are just as accurate as my other rifles. The barrel nut design and the wedges are very secure, I’m pretty sure you could run the gun without the anti-rotation clip and it wouldn’t make a difference…

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I had one of their MLOK rails that flared out at the business end with a 4" section of 1913 rail built in. It was lightweight and the machining was top notch, but all the cutaways made it get hot as balls after a mag or two.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'd find another gunsmith.

This is a mid-length turned from a Shilen blank, then nitrided. The group is ten 77-grain Match Kings at 200 yards. The rail is an SLR Solo 15-incher.

Victor'sSPR.jpgVictor'sSPR2.jpgvictor'sdmblaster.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast