Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New(to me) PVS14 with black spots.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Well that was Nerve wracking.... But holy shit. '

So I took the ocular lens off and could immediately see dust on the tube. A lot of dust.

I cleaned it as advised, didn't' even use the IPA though since it didn't appear to be needed.

This is the end result. You could say I am happy!

I think those spots on the outer edge are still dust and will mess with it later. But at the moment I am good with it.

Last edited by kwelz; 12-05-21 at 17:16.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Nice to see a happy ending to this one. Great job man.

Feedback Score
    What does the loss of nitrogen affect?
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Wow, great job! That looks way better, glad that worked out for you.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    What does the loss of nitrogen affect?
    Nitrogen purging reduces the potential for moisture inside the optic.

Feedback Score
    Yes ideally he would purge it now. Doubt he wants to drop $2,000. on a proper purge kit however.

There is some DIY methods that folks use- I cannot attest to their efficiency- including Argon wine preserver spray.

If he did the work inside in a relatively climate controlled structure, he should be fine without a purge truth be told.

If you DO get any fogging issues OP, then you will have to address it.

That was a metric arse ton of trash inside! I'm guessing what you still see is actual blems as they didn't show up well in a pic. "Pepper speck" which is the teeny tiny blems smaller than .003 rarely show up in pics and none of the tube manufacturers chart them or acknowledge stuff that small as blems. Only way they bother people is the guys that Mommy won't let out of the house so all they seem to do is stare at sheetrock with their NODs

You cleaned that up nice OP, congrats!!!
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com
    Ask about M4carbine.net discounts
    30 years in business- Since 1992
    robert@jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    I have also heard of people using compressed air in place of a true purge. Any thoughts on this?

The tiny spots do still see do only show up when looking at a flat surface. Once mommy lets me out to play with them I am sure I won’t even notice. And I expected those types of spots from my pre purchase research.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    What you have there now is a relatively clean tube- looked like some blems in Zone 3 near the outer edge. Very common.

In actual usage you won't notice those at all.

I wouldn't try compressed air to purge it. I would just leave it be until/unless you see some fogging issues.

Purging also has to be done under a certain pressure. One time I messed up the setting on our purge device and the nitrogen went in too high. What was a beautiful clean tube was now covered with crap. Had to disassemble and clean everything again- and you know how fun that is.

You may want to also check the overall integrity of the housing. On the area with your tube retaining ring the little green coloring seemed really odd- almost like it lost a seal at some point, got moisture in the set or something. If you start experiencing fogging that could be the cause of it also. Check for cracks in the housing, missing screws, etc. Be worth a look over.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com
    Ask about M4carbine.net discounts
    30 years in business- Since 1992
    robert@jrhenterprises.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12