Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: USMC's "Lateral Entry" concept

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwfuhrman View Post
    Guy I went thru my EMT Basic and then Paramedic course with 14 years ago ended up enlisting 4 years ago. Because he had 10 years street experience as a Paramedic, he went in as an E5 as a Combat Medic. Went to basic but skipped AIT and went straight to his unit.
    I went through a similar program in the Navy. They had a short school for FMSS (field med school, the Marine's combat medicine/tac medicine school) for experienced providers, but after a few classes they stopped because even though the incoming corpsmen who had been civilian medics had mad medic skills, they had no tactical skills and were getting their asses killed (figuratively) at their first unit. There has been probably a dozen iterations of this type of program in the Navy I know.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    The only way it makes sense to join the military with a Computer Science degree is if ROTC paid your tuition and you will be a commisioned officer. Just accept the fact you will be kept busy doing additional duties until you get some senority, then doing administrative tasks until you complete your service requirement and join the private sector for a 50% or so pay raise. At least you will get a Secret/TS clearance out of it.

Andy

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    The only way it makes sense to join the military with a Computer Science degree is if ROTC paid your tuition and you will be a commisioned officer. Just accept the fact you will be kept busy doing additional duties until you get some senority, then doing administrative tasks until you complete your service requirement and join the private sector for a 50% or so pay raise. At least you will get a Secret/TS clearance out of it.

Andy
    I don't disagree with some of this. But, the Corps has enlisted MOSs it has to fill, and the quality of the people in those MOSs and the ASVAB requirements will require a different level of applicant (far smarter than I; talking Navy nuke type). Seems the discussion is how to recruit and how to retain. If they do nothing, then nothing will change.
    Last edited by chuckman; 12-06-21 at 16:07.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    It probably literally works out to 'can the Marine Corps afford to pay people with relatively high value degrees and skills to spend weeks feeling mentally handicapped'.
    Lmao!

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Another article, this one about shortage of recruiters. Like I said in a previous post, my dad was a people person and loved it, did two tours back-to-back. But the guys I know? They hate it. But they have to do it if they want to stay in.

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/new...ty-volunteers/

I'm from everywhere man because I'm an everywhere man....
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    .... conspiracy theory... or could this be something along the lines of, "Dear Major Manly American Patriot, Your services are no longer required because your refuse to comply with our woke agenda... Welcome your replacement, Comrade Major Snowflake No Gender Z who is on board with the agenda."
    Repression Is Nine Tenths The Law

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    I don't disagree with some of this. But, the Corps has enlisted MOSs it has to fill, and the quality of the people in those MOSs and the ASVAB requirements will require a different level of applicant (far smarter than I; talking Navy nuke type). Seems the discussion is how to recruit and how to retain. If they do nothing, then nothing will change.
    Coming from one of those enlisted MOS background, with the comically low retention to back it up (<2%), that feedback cycle is real. Particularly so when most of the SNCO cadre are people imported from comm battalions who know very little about what is unique to a radio battalion, and only the smarter ones actually develop enough of a clue and appreciation for what us nerds were truly capable of. At least the O-2's would have finally figured out that they were not the smartest ones in the room (and quite often not even the most educated), and be able to drive on and become actually excellent leaders... but to some extent that poisons them to further USMC utility because they have then developed the incredibly rare and valuable skillset of being able to manage very intelligent skilled people, that is also very desirable to the outside world (particularly with a TS/SCI still active).

Coming from that specific talent pool (99 pctile ASVAB, >150 DLAB types), and not being completely incapable at the rest of the military tasking, the fact that no special retention effort had ever really been made besides allowing people to maintain the foreign language pay was telling enough. If they were throwing $35k bonuses at new kids to try and make it through, but no incentives to retain those with already the language and technical proficiency (acquired at far greater cost), then the business model is entirely reliant on a constant stream of fresh talent, and being an experienced old goat only had utility if one wanted to stay on and try to improve the SNR in the SNCO caste against the above mentioned problems.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    [ETA Double Tap]

As far as leveraging this for making more parts of the Corps replaceable... I'd rather doubt it, since these are going to be some comparatively unusual positions.
    This type of role is probably going to fall much more towards the 'would be millionaires living with their parents' types, just shoved into a barracks (or more likely underutilized BOQ)
    Last edited by TehLlama; 12-07-21 at 07:28.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678