Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recoil reduction in micro 9x19's

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    13.2" median depth, 0.5" expansion in Ammunition To Go's test. What .380 load does better than this?
    Ball.

Expansion is only desirable if the bullet has the penetration to spare. .380 doesn't. I'm not sure 9x19 from a 3.0 inch barrel does either.

I like to see about 18 inches in calibrated ballistics gelatin or about 22 inches in Clear Gel. If it cant do that with expansion I'll pass on the expansion.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Ball.
    That's easy to find. https://atlantaarms.com/products/sel...challenge.html

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    It's all part of a compromise-there's no free lunch. One has to balance out size, weight and "shootability" (haha, not a word) Recoil has to go somewhere or be controlled, slide weight, spring tension or in your hand. The gun can only be but so small, light, etc otherwise it won't function properly. If you compare spring tension on small 9mm's verses larger ones, the spring tension is higher on the small ones as they have no slide weight.

Or you can try some Triactin?
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Ron3, I mean this with no offense intended, but you need to learn how to shoot. By that I mean you need to take a modern class from a good instructor to fix your grip, stance, and press. That will unlock the potential of even these little guns. I first noticed you mentioning this here:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...oot&highlight=

I run my P365 and G43X fast and accurate. But I wasnt able to do that until I really LEARNED how to shoot a pistol from guys like Kyle Defoor or Scott Jedlinski.

I recently put a comp on my G43x from PMM. It runs fast, I mean FAST. Spend your money on a class and 1k rds of ammo, then put a comp on on your carry gun.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I want a Hellcat or similar size / capacity gun in .380.

I'm really just in it for the RDS.
    Like the LCP max?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
    Like the LCP max?
    I'd prefer something a little bigger and more reliable I think. And optic ready.
    Last edited by Ron3; 12-04-21 at 11:29.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    Ron3, I mean this with no offense intended, but you need to learn how to shoot. By that I mean you need to take a modern class from a good instructor to fix your grip, stance, and press. That will unlock the potential of even these little guns. I first noticed you mentioning this here:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...oot&highlight=

I run my P365 and G43X fast and accurate. But I wasnt able to do that until I really LEARNED how to shoot a pistol from guys like Kyle Defoor or Scott Jedlinski.

I recently put a comp on my G43x from PMM. It runs fast, I mean FAST. Spend your money on a class and 1k rds of ammo, then put a comp on on your carry gun.

I've taken various classes and participated in competition off and on. Though I've yet to take a pistol RDS class. I shoot pretty well.

Bill Drill with the Hellcat averaged about 3.75 IIRC. A second slower than I am with a Beretta Cheetah. That's from real concealment at 7 yds. Not great but not terrible.

At 25 yds freehand I can put 10 rds into 5 inches with a full-size gun in a service caliber and common irons with typical practice ammo. Good ammo like XTP's I can do better.

My complaints with the Hellcat are:

- Trigger bite. (Possibly fixed, need to go shoot)

- Recoil and small grip area slow split times vs. Less powerfull small guns

- Web of firing hand gets battered enough to bleed after 250 rds.

- Slide serrations aren't very aggressive. I'm hoping a mounted RDS can help alleviate that.

I do want to like the gun and shoot it well because I ran a bunch of various jhp's and some Russian ammo through it and it ran fine except for one or two duds. (Wolf)

But I also think I should have chosen something a little larger like the Sheild Plus.
    Last edited by Ron3; 12-04-21 at 11:30.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    I was impressed by ammotogo's test results of the 124 gr Gold Dot and 124 gr XTP from a 3.1 inch barrel. That's two JHP's I already have a few boxes of.

I ran few through the Hellcat on its first trip out along with a few other JHP's. Ran a few 115 +p+ Gold Dots through it then later considered maybe that was a bit harsh on the little guy.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm going to give my Hellcat another chance.

It blistered the heck out of my trigger finger. I've since smoothed out what I could and thought about what else I can do to prevent it. One of those will be to ensure I've got as much finger through the trigger guard a possible.

My split times took a hit with this little gun. Its flippy and there isnt much to grab onto.

What else could be tried to cut recoil / muzzle rise?

Would really light bullets be the thing or 147 gr bullets?

I've got some 147's I'm going to try but cant make it out for at least a few days.

I thought I'd ask what kind of ammo is best in these little 9's to reduce recoil and muzzle rise.

A 9mm S&W Sheild is a pleasure in comparison.
    Why not just stick with the Shield then and be a happy guy? Personally, I view pistols not 1911s from Springfield as hobby grade at best.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Why not just stick with the Shield then and be a happy guy? Personally, I view pistols not 1911s from Springfield as hobby grade at best.
    Mine is a 2.0 single-stack non-optic model.

I got it in a trade to try out. Works and shoots fine but I dont want / need it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast