Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying stripped lower, can it be pistol or rifle?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Buying stripped lower, can it be pistol or rifle?

I understood if you buy a rifle lower, it can't be a pistol lower. But what if its a stripped lower?

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A stripped lower will always be a "other" on the 4473, and therefore can be built into either.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    A stripped lower will always be a "other" on the 4473, and therefore can be built into either.
    Spot on.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    Depends on how the dealer writes it up on the 4473. Very wise to ask first...

Example: When my kid was 20 he bought his first stripped lower. Dealer transferred it as a 'rifle' - THAT is legal. Would not have been legal to transfer a 'pistol' to him at that age.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Example: When my kid was 20 he bought his first stripped lower. Dealer transferred it as a 'rifle' - THAT is legal. Would not have been legal to transfer a 'pistol' to him at that age.
    That contradicts what is written in the fourth thread I linked, and this ATF open letter: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/070709openletter.pdf

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    That contradicts what is written in the fourth thread I linked, and this ATF open letter: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/070709openletter.pdf
    Guess what happens when jr takes his buffer tube and buttstock WITH HIM when he goes to pick up the lower...

Takes 30 seconds to screw that tube in there and slide the rifle stock on it. That dealer sold a rifle - Not a frame. Makes no difference if the thing is 'complete' and functional or not so long as that stock is half ass on there.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    As I understand the law that is still not a rifle. It has to be mated to an upper or it is a receiver.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Guess what happens when jr takes his buffer tube and buttstock WITH HIM when he goes to pick up the lower...

Takes 30 seconds to screw that tube in there and slide the rifle stock on it. That dealer sold a rifle - Not a frame. Makes no difference if the thing is 'complete' and functional or not so long as that stock is half ass on there.
    Still not a handgun or long gun, so it xfers as other.

Obviously nobody has read 4473 Instructions since my prior post.....

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

I'm not sure it's possible for you to be any more wrong than you've been in your posts in this thread but I'm kinda curious to see how far you'll double down and go.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Even with a rifle stock installed, a lower is transferred as an OTHER. Remove the stock before installing a pistol upper and your good to go.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast