Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buying stripped lower, can it be pistol or rifle?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    That contradicts what is written in the fourth thread I linked, and this ATF open letter: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/070709openletter.pdf
    Guess what happens when jr takes his buffer tube and buttstock WITH HIM when he goes to pick up the lower...

Takes 30 seconds to screw that tube in there and slide the rifle stock on it. That dealer sold a rifle - Not a frame. Makes no difference if the thing is 'complete' and functional or not so long as that stock is half ass on there.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    As I understand the law that is still not a rifle. It has to be mated to an upper or it is a receiver.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Guess what happens when jr takes his buffer tube and buttstock WITH HIM when he goes to pick up the lower...

Takes 30 seconds to screw that tube in there and slide the rifle stock on it. That dealer sold a rifle - Not a frame. Makes no difference if the thing is 'complete' and functional or not so long as that stock is half ass on there.
    Still not a handgun or long gun, so it xfers as other.

Obviously nobody has read 4473 Instructions since my prior post.....

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

I'm not sure it's possible for you to be any more wrong than you've been in your posts in this thread but I'm kinda curious to see how far you'll double down and go.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Even with a rifle stock installed, a lower is transferred as an OTHER. Remove the stock before installing a pistol upper and your good to go.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Even with a rifle stock installed, a lower is transferred as an OTHER. Remove the stock before installing a pistol upper and your good to go.
    Not the one my kid bought...

Pretty sure as large as that dealer was that they knew what they were doing and if it was lawful or not. Was NOT some dipshit doing transfers from his garage.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    No matter how big of a place he runs, he's wrong. I certainly hope that if he gets audited that he didn't do it too often and when receiving those lowers he entered them as "rifles" not "other" in his book. And he better hope that if they ever do a criminal investigation trace on a serial number from the manufacturer to his shop, that he entered them and disposed of them properly (which he didn't)

Funny thing is, in my neck of the woods the ATF is looking for these things when they visit. It hasn't happened to me yet, but the guy that convinced me to get my FFL so I could take over his customers, was inspected right before his license expired. The agent specifically went through all the AR style rifles and AR "others" in his book looking to make sure that they were properly handled. The interviewer from the ATF when I applied for my license made a big point about "others" are never "rifles" and are only available to those over 21 years old.

As for the big guys knowing what they are doing. Plenty of big shops get tied up in ATF violations. Being big isn't an indicator of legal knowledge at all.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Not the one my kid bought...

Pretty sure as large as that dealer was that they knew what they were doing and if it was lawful or not. Was NOT some dipshit doing transfers from his garage.
    I think you got the dipshit backwards. I deal with four guys that run their FFL out of their garage, the service, price and knowledge is far superior to many "big guys" I've been to, like not even close. AKDoug is spot on, a stripped lower is not a "rifle" or "pistol" it is an "other" and one must be 21 to legally purchase it because it can be built both ways.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well I was dead wrong for saying "good on him". Sounded like he was being helpful, but I didn't know FFLs were REQUIRED legally to list a lower as "other", assumed it was just common practice, as I'd heard of them being listed wrongly on 4473s in the past.

I could give a shit about firearms laws anymore, but a dude doing business as a FFL should definitely mind his Ps & Qs to avoid getting jammed up.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Just for clarification, a complete lower bought as such with a buttstock is transferred as "Other" on the 4473?

Said lower can then have the stock removed and a brace added to reconfigure as a pistol before dropping a short barreled upper on it?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast