Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Safety Lever Question

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    It shouldn't be a Radian Talon unless it was install incorrectly, they use is spring loaded detent to secure, no screws to come loose.
    + 1 on this. I do think the older Radians used a different attachment method? And the FCD selectors are pinned in place for that extra level of reassurance. I would trust either, when installed correctly, to be at low risk for coming loose.

Feedback Score
    Perhaps I am not asking the right question. What, if anything, do these aftermarket selectors/safeties bring to the table that makes them a better answer than a simple schmid, one piece, single sided safety lever? I do understand the reason some folks require/need an ambi. I am talking about a hard use, self defense rifle. I understand using stuff for game guns.

I can articulate many positive attributes to the above selector and see no negative issues. Even the schmid selector that is threaded on the right side so an ambi lever can be attached has the same positive issues. So I suppose I am looking for what I don't know. How are these aftermarket selectors a better mousetrap?

Cheers, Steve

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    LPK’s matter, which is why I limit my selection to:

Colt
    SIONICS
    DD
    SOLGW

Springs, detents and pins aren’t the place to save money.

I also don’t use unproven designer stuff that, in some cases, simply offers opportunity for more to go wrong.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ssc View Post
    Perhaps I am not asking the right question. What, if anything, do these aftermarket selectors/safeties bring to the table that makes them a better answer than a simple schmid, one piece, single sided safety lever? I do understand the reason some folks require/need an ambi. I am talking about a hard use, self defense rifle. I understand using stuff for game guns.

I can articulate many positive attributes to the above selector and see no negative issues. Even the schmid selector that is threaded on the right side so an ambi lever can be attached has the same positive issues. So I suppose I am looking for what I don't know. How are these aftermarket selectors a better mousetrap?

Cheers, Steve
    These are MY reasons. I think it comes down to personal preferences. There is no right answer

1.) I don't like to break my grip to engage the safety. Using a good ambi lets me do that with my trigger finger

2.) While shooting off handed I can then do the same and not have to change my personal manual of arms as a result.

If neither of these things are important to you then amib safeties are probably not for you.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I'm left-handed so I ambi my guns.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch110 View Post
    1.) I don't like to break my grip to engage the safety. Using a good ambi lets me do that with my trigger finger
    That's why (as a Right hander) I hate Ambi. The right side hits my hand when I'm trying to click the safety off. I actually just end up using the lefty (right side) lever with my trigger finger because I can't smoothly operate the thumb side without breaking my grip any way.

Now that I think it through... I couldn't hate ambi safeties any more.
    Last edited by markm; 12-07-21 at 16:47.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That's why (as a Right hander) I hate Ambi. The right side hits my hand when I'm trying to click the safety off. I actually just end up using the lefty (right side) lever with my trigger finger because I can't smoothly operate the thumb side without breaking my grip any way.

The short throw safeties along with short levers and/or offset levers like those on the FCD/SOLGW Quick help solve this problem.
    https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.co...ers_p_229.html
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post

Yes. All of that.

I loathe ambi safeties. I have to open my hand to use it. Even more awkward when I do it with my left hand.

Want to flip the rifle while it’s safe and hanging so the safety doesn’t accidentally get moved? You ain’t doin’ that with an ambi.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I’m a lefty and I shoot Colt USGI ambi safeties all the time. No issues. I believe they’re made by Schmid but have dual detent slots so they can be flipped and the short lever can be used on either side so as not to interfere with the trigger finger. I have bought standard Schmid ambi that can’t be flipped so you’re stuck with a long lever on the left side which defeats the purpose for me.
    Do you even get down innagrass, bro?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    The short throw safeties along with short levers and/or offset levers like those on the FCD/SOLGW Quick help solve this problem.
    https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.co...ers_p_229.html
    This. Plus it also helps to use the 50 degree safety and not the 90. Along with a short lever the only time I touch it is when I want to. No interference on either side. Again, there is no right or wrong, just whatever works for you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast