Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rifles For Duty Use SOLGW vs. Sig M400 vs. Aero Precision

Feedback Score

Rifles For Duty Use SOLGW vs. Sig M400 vs. Aero Precision

My agency is looking to start replacing our patrol rifles with better quality rifles. We have been buying RRA rifles for the last 10-12 years. About six months ago I made a proposal to change rifles due to the numerous issues we have had with RRA over the years. My background is I have been in law enforcement 10 years and have been in the training community for almost 15 years. My personal rifles have all been KAC and BCM as far as serious use rifles go. I have been using my BCM RECCE for duty for the last 5 years. I was asked to do some research and give my opinion on what rifle to buy. I recommended SOLGW due to their reputation for for building quality rifles, generous LE pricing, and duty replacement program.

The training LT. decided to push for the Sig M400. His experience with it is shooting it for a couple hours with a Sig rep. I have no experience with Sig rifles. The local gun shop the agency does business with is pushing for Aero Precision since they are a dealer. I have some experience with Aero rifles and they have been solid guns but have never seen them in a class. We have a T&E gun from all three manufactures coming for testing. I'm looking for opinions on any of the three rifles companies from people with experience with them. Just trying to make sure we don't make another mistake in purchasing new rifles, thanks.

Feedback Score
    I have a precision rig built off of al SOLGW upper, lower, internal parts etc. I built the complete gun all parts showed outstanding tolerances, been shooting the gun hard in matches and general training for two years zero issues. That being said I don’t have experience with the Sig or much experience with the Aero products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I would compare specs. Post them here if you have any questions.

Top things to look for/ask:
    How is gas block attached (pinned? Dimpled barrel with set screws w/red locktite? Clamp-on?)
    How is gas-key staking
    Bolt full specs (individual, batch, or no mpi testing? Material, shot-peened?)
    Gas port size/system length/barrel length
    Castle nut staking
    Buffer (h, h2, etc)
    Receiver extension should be 7000 series aluminum with rolled on threads

Im sure im missing some stuff.

Run them hard, but equally (same round counts, within same time periods), then thoroughly inspect them at the end for excessive wear.

Feedback Score
    I’m in a similar situation. PM and I can forward you all the homework that I’ve done.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    @OP

Is Sionics an option? They seem to have a great deal of LE experience ...

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Of those three listed SOLGW is a no brainer.
    https://sonsoflibertygw.com/duty-use-replacement/
    https://sonsoflibertygw.com/agency-purchases/

As mentioned above, if SIONICS is not up for consideration, they should be.
    Last edited by titsonritz; 12-22-21 at 14:13. Reason: Fixed broken link
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Of those three listed SOLGW is a no brainer.
    https://sonsoflibertygw.com/law-enforcement-programs/

As mentioned above, if SIONICS is not up for consideration, they should be.
    Absolutely agree. Sionics would be my first choice. I have a few. I have been very impressed. So much that I was paying for one for my SIL, who is LVMPD. They are on their approved list.

Cheers, Steve

Feedback Score
    SOLGW all the way. They know their stuff. Top quality components, each rifle is built and certified by an individual armor, fully customizable in any configuration, great people!
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ssc View Post
    Absolutely agree. Sionics would be my first choice. I have a few. I have been very impressed. So much that I was paying for one for my SIL, who is LVMPD. They are on their approved list.

Cheers, Steve
    Another vote for Sionics here.

They do a very large amount of LE contracts. I imagine way more than their consumer sales.

Feedback Score
    bigez1, are you looking for technical merits or political ones to make your case? My guess is you're going to need a lot more of the latter than the former if you want to equip your agency properly.

Of the three options, most everyone here -- myself included -- will recommend SOLGW based on their well-earned reputation and overall approach to rifle builds. That'll presumably mean nothing to the people you have to convince.

I'd get hard, easily digestible facts on SOLGW's costs -- including cycle of life -- and history equipping and supporting LE, and opinions on how that's worked out. I'd also square away that they do in fact have the capacity to manage their growing LE/MIL contracts along with their civilian sales; they're still a young company and there were teething issues once regarding their ability to keep apace with demands.

I'd point to Aero's relative young-ishness in the market with their -- dare I say it? -- more hobby-level target audience versus hard-use. I presume LE contracts are not common for them (could be wrong) and I'd highlight the unknown quantity aspect of this.

Sig? They were willing to put known-to-be unsafe P320s into the public's hands and LEO's holsters and still refuse to take responsibility for it (voluntary upgrades don't count for much, morally speaking). I'd argue against Sig based on principle.

Point is, with your question you'll get a whole lot of folk here simply saying SOLGW because they're good and we like them, or offering their preferred brand (often with good cause, like in the case of Sionics), but I doubt the kinds of arguments for which to pick posted here will go very far in helping you because our metrics tend to be different than those of the audience you must convince. Find the budgetary and political reasons for one option over the rest first, and sprinkle in some technical ones here and there.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast