Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ciprofloxacin

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score

Ciprofloxacin

I just was proscribed Ciprofloxacin for a possible UTI. The info the pharmacist gives with it says the following.

Ciprofloxacin may cause swelling or tearing of a tendon (the fiber that connects bones to muscles in the body), especially in the Achilles' tendon of the heel. This can happen during treatment or several months after you stop taking ciprofloxacin. Tendon problems may be more likely in children and older adults, or people who use steroid medicine or have had an organ transplant.

Has anyone experienced a tendon tear while taking it. Now I worry about lifting while taking it.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by P2Vaircrewman View Post
    I just was proscribed Ciprofloxacin for a possible UTI. The info the pharmacist gives with it says the following.

Ciprofloxacin may cause swelling or tearing of a tendon (the fiber that connects bones to muscles in the body), especially in the Achilles' tendon of the heel. This can happen during treatment or several months after you stop taking ciprofloxacin. Tendon problems may be more likely in children and older adults, or people who use steroid medicine or have had an organ transplant.

Has anyone experienced a tendon tear while taking it. Now I worry about lifting while taking it.
    I've taken it just this year. I noticed tendon pain, but it went away about 2 weeks after I stopped taking it. Just take it easy while you're on it. I'm not gonna say you won't have problems, but chances are that you won't. If you notice objective tendon pain, contact your doctor.

If it's just a possible UTI, you could always investigate other forms of treatment if using Cipro concerns you. I honestly would at least consider it.

Feedback Score
    Used it a couple of times in the past for travers diarrhea and never had a problem. I have heard of folks having an issue when the take it for 30 days or more.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fedupflyer View Post
    Used it a couple of times in the past for travers diarrhea and never had a problem. I have heard of folks having an issue when the take it for 30 days or more.
    My tendon pain kicked in at about day 14 I think

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I left a roof incorrectly about 3 months after finishing up a cipro prescription. Jacked my ankle pretty good. My mind instantly went to the achilles tendon disclaimer. Ankle wasn't right for around a year. Don't know if it was related or not.

Take your script and enjoy being immune to the black death for a few weeks.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    In 2013 I had to take a course of Cipro. Doctor warned me about the risks, mentioned Kobe Bryant’s injury as an example. I was running about 3 miles, 3 times a week at that time and took it easy. Still managed to tweak my Achilles somehow and it wasn’t right for months.

Feedback Score
    I took Cipro on and of for a few years due to chronic prostatitis. Bothered my stomach a little bit, but no other side effects.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by P2Vaircrewman View Post
    Cipro, for a possible UTI? Something doesn't sound right.

Quote Originally Posted by fedupflyer View Post
    Cipro's been the norm on orders for travel GI issues. More recently, azithromycin.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Cipro, for a possible UTI? Something doesn't sound right.

Cipro's been the norm on orders for travel GI issues. More recently, azithromycin.

I agree. It’s not hard to figure out if it is a definite UTI or not a UTI. This is how we end up with super bugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mRad View Post
    I agree. It’s not hard to figure out if it is a definite UTI or not a UTI. This is how we end up with super bugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    One that I currently have unfortunately... one of the perks to having surgery done at Womack.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast