Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suppressor Advice

Feedback Score

Suppressor Advice

Ok. I did do a search, but didn’t come up with anything… so if this has been covered, I apologize. I am ready to start looking for my first can. I was thinking about starting with a .30 cal can so I can run it on all of my rifles while I save for a dedicated 556 can.

It will be used for 300BLK, 308 AR and my 11.5 556 pistol. I was thinking about the Surefire SOCOM 762 RC2. Would this be a good general use can? Or are there better alternatives out there? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Better or Best is be subjective.
    Better at sound suppression?
    Better tone?
    Better options for attachment?

Everyone’s opinion of a suppressor will vary.
    If you go with most any of the mainstream well known models you should not have an issue.

I have 2 SilencerCo cans in .308 (chimera and omega 300) and one by AAC. They all do a very good job. My 9mm can also works for 300 BO subsonic…haven’t tried it for that yet. To date none of the cans I have are an issue. They all do what they are supposed to do.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    First thing I’d do is look at Pewscience.com and do your comparisons there. There’s a lot of good 30 cal cans out there.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    The best way to have this discussion is to rank your priorities. It’ll be a list like:

Sound reduction
    Flash reduction
    Weight
    Length
    Mounting system
    Cost
    Durability
    POI shift
    Backpressure

You don’t have to include all of these, just the handful that are most important to you.

Feedback Score
    I like my Surefire SOCOM 762. I run it on a SCAR 17, Galil ACE SBR 7.62x39. It also works on my 556 ARs.

I would also take a hard look at Dead Air’s Nomad suppressors. Their KeyMo flash hiders don’t suffer as much from issues with carbon lock as my Surefires. They also make dedicated flash hiders for the SCAR 17. What I do to prevent carbon lock is apply ALG go juice to the appropriate mating surfaces and scrub the hell out of them between range sessions. No issues. I may order a Dead Air once the eform 4s go live.

I also picked up a 7.62 OSS can for my AKs and 16” Galil ACE. It is louder than my Surefire SOCOM, but you get virtually no heat build up or excess carbon buildup in the gun’s action. It runs cooler, which is truly amazing. Trade off is the can is louder and has a loud first round pop.

Feedback Score
    You can also look at AAC sdn6 with their t51 mount that’s easy to mount between rifles. Their priced reasonably and have a military pedigree.

Surefires also great. If it were me I’d go fde instead of black.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Our buddy came out with this bad ass Ti can. The thread on piece at the back of the suppressor can be changed out so it threads on to 1/2-28 and 5/8-24 with the supplied wrenches. Light as hell, and sounds good. I mean it fills a lot of roles for about 800-900 bucks.

Dead Air - NOMAD.

After many years of various suppressor use, for the role the OP is asking... I'd say this can is it. Mount systems no longer enamor me for the most part. We've grown to really just like direct thread.
    Last edited by markm; 12-07-21 at 16:32.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Had a conjugal visit with my OSS 5.56 can today, and I'm pleased I went that route. Plenty quiet to shoot without ear pro if necessary, and no gas coming out the back. Still haven't shot my 7.62 OSS as I didn't feel like dragging more than 2 rifles with me, but I expect similar performance there.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SFW View Post
    Ok. I did do a search, but didn’t come up with anything… so if this has been covered, I apologize. I am ready to start looking for my first can. I was thinking about starting with a .30 cal can so I can run it on all of my rifles while I save for a dedicated 556 can.

It will be used for 300BLK, 308 AR and my 11.5 556 pistol. I was thinking about the Surefire SOCOM 762 RC2. Would this be a good general use can? Or are there better alternatives out there? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    PM sent
    Per Ardua ad Astra.
    STS - gone but not forgotten.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    We've grown to really just like direct thread.

I seem to recall multiple upper end can makers saying the same thing, either online or in private. The market wants QD/ Rapid Attach/ Cool Guy Bang Stick stuff.... so they buy mounts instead. Direct thread works best, so people buy QD and bitch.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast