Thread: M99 Firing Upon Bolt Closure

Feedback Score

M99 Firing Upon Bolt Closure

My BIL got a new Barrett M99 in .416 and at the first range outing it sent a round over the berm when he closed the bolt. Finger nowhere near trigger. He was able to duplicate it without a round in the chamber. Close bolt, click. He was also able to drop the hammer, closed bolt and finger off trigger, just by taking firm hold of the grip and putting tension on it.

Anyone heard of this before? Rifle is on its way back to factory, but I thought I'd ask to see if this was a common thing, or not.
    "Literally EVERYTHING is in space, Morty." Grandpa Rick Sanchez

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    With .416 I hope the range has excellent safety zones. How far can one of those fly?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Probably something wonky with the sear pivot or sear pivot spring.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    With .416 I hope the range has excellent safety zones. How far can one of those fly?
    Not sure, but I was secretly hoping it made it all the way to China.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I'd strip the bolt and look for a burr or crap that could have prevented the bolt from remaining "cocked" on closure. Barring that, it'd be going back to Barrett for Warranty work.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Barrett finally got back to BIL. Gun is on its way back to them.

This really could have been a disaster had all the safety rules not been followed... {wink wink, nudge nudge Mr. Baldwin....}

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Thats a big bullet to sending over dare sumeware. Damn.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Never heard of this and mine has certainly not done it. Please let us know what Barrett finds so I can be sure to check mine.

Thank you,

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Bulletdog,

Any updates?

Feedback Score
    I had a friend that bought one of the very first Barrett 99 rifles back when they first came out. He had problems with getting hard enough hits on the primers to set the rounds off. He would have to re-cock and retry some of the ammo two and three times before it worked. He first though it was the re manufactured 50 bmg ammo he was using. He then sold that rifle to another friend of mine who had the same issues with even brand new ammo. The other friend ended up contacting Barrett and having them fix the rifle. It turned out that the head spacing was wrong. They had to install a new bolt and firing pin to fix the problem. Barrett actually charged him over 600.00 dollars to fix the problem. I would have figured they would have done it for free because of the personal liability of sending out a incorrectly head spaced gun.