Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a lever action for hunting

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Looking for a lever action for hunting

So I’ve taken up hunting this year and have gone twice and each time I’ve brought my SOCOM 16 CQB. I realize it might not be completely hunting appropriate but I rather bring that than a shotgun or one of my ARs. I’ve been debating getting a Marlin 336 Dark since I could use my 7.62 can on the threaded barrel if I so choose and since I also mostly hunt for white tail. I was wondering if I should go with the 336 for 30-30 or just go for the 1895 for 45-70 or is that not totally necessary since I won’t be hunting big game?

Feedback Score
    Convinced that you need a lever-action?

Only lever-action I’d look at would be a BLR from Browning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Marlin 336 is a great gun, though quality for different time periods has been up and down. I find it a superior action to the Winchester. Mine is almost 40 years old and still going strong.

I personally prefer to keep my lever guns traditional, but if that’s not your style you could do worse.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    No end of chamberings available in lever actions. And plenty of good rifles to chose from. Winchester, Marlin, Savage,...
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    Check out the Henry X if you can find one.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krp7894 View Post
    So I’ve taken up hunting this year and have gone twice and each time I’ve brought my SOCOM 16 CQB. I realize it might not be completely hunting appropriate but I rather bring that than a shotgun or one of my ARs.
    Why isn't your SOCOM 16 hunting appropriate? Local state laws or compared to the size of the local game? If it's either of those, I get it, but if you're just referring to it in general, I got a buck two days ago with my PTR-91 GI, a buck last year with my SCAR, and plan on hunting next year with my FAL. Semi-auto .308s make excellent hunting rifles in some areas and against some game.

If you think a semi-auto .308 is too much gun for local game, a .45-70 most certainly is. .30-30 at close to mid range should be plenty for white tail.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Part of the reason is state laws in NY even though I’m able to possess it. Rangers break balls over certain firearms. But it’s mostly the weight of the rifle and how loud it is. I love it don’t get me wrong. I like something light and short that would be easier to hike with and get in and out of brush with. I like the Henry X rifles as well mostly the .357 caliber for hunting medium size game.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I recently bought myself a Henry big boy carbine in 41 Magnum to match my son's Blackhawk in 41. Put a small RMR on it and it's a blast to shoot.

The build, fit and finish on the Henry exceeded my expectations. It has such a nice trigger that people comment on it.

I didn't hunt with it this year as it was not sighted it in yet, but will next year for close situations.
    Last edited by pinzgauer; 12-06-21 at 15:03.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I’m not going for distance either. 100-150 yards is about it for me. So that’s also why I’m not sure about the 357 Henry. I might just wait on the Marlin 1895 Dark.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mRad View Post
    Convinced that you need a lever-action?

Only lever-action I’d look at would be a BLR from Browning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In .358 winchester.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast