Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a lever action for hunting

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    If you're not certain you want a lever, Steyr Scouts are now available with a threaded barrel and meet you "short and light" criteria. Personally, I'd hold off on any new Marlin product for a while to see how things work out under Ruger's ownership.

Used Savage 99's can still be found at reasonable prices in .300 Savage and .308 and are a step above any .30-30 since they can use Spitzer bullets and are a little easier to scope.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    If you're not certain you want a lever, Steyr Scouts are now available with a threaded barrel and meet you "short and light" criteria. Personally, I'd hold off on any new Marlin product for a while to see how things work out under Ruger's ownership.

Used Savage 99's can still be found at reasonable prices in .300 Savage and .308 and are a step above any .30-30 since they can use Spitzer bullets and are a little easier to scope.
    This is a great strategy. Another is a Rem Model Seven in .308 Win or even 7mm-08.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TBAR_94 View Post
    The Marlin 336 is a great gun, though quality for different time periods has been up and down. I find it a superior action to the Winchester. Mine is almost 40 years old and still going strong.

I personally prefer to keep my lever guns traditional, but if that’s not your style you could do worse.
    +1. I’ve got several “JM” Marlins and a few Winchester lever actions (I’d I prefer to keep them original too). If I was going deer hunting I’d take one of my 336’s, either .30-30 Winchester or .35 Remington. They are handy little carbines.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12