Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here successfully trap armadillos?

Feedback Score

Anyone here successfully trap armadillos?

They have been digging the perfect size holes in my yard to break an ankle. I’ve woken my neighbor the last 2 out of 3 mornings between 4-4:30am. One was two shots with my G19(missed first shot and nailed it on the second), and the other was a 12 gauge. I know he doesn’t mind because they are doing the same damage to his yard. But he’s retired and I’d really rather not wake him and his wife if possible. A 22lr is out of the question because I don’t want to wound one and have it go die someplace out of sight and stink to high heaven.
    So that leaves me thinking about trapping. I know where some burrows are and I have placed cage traps there with zero results.
    So has anyone here successfully trapped them? If so, please share how. Until then I’ll continue to do perimeter checks at 4am.
    FWIW, sig v-crown puts a gnarly exit wound on them.

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    Get a lawn chair, a shotgun with a light taped to the barrel and a cooler of beer and sit out at night waiting for them.

Feedback Score
    Aren’t suppressors legal in all states where dillos live? Kill them

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DixieGuns View Post
    I know he doesn’t mind because they are doing the same damage to his yard. But he’s retired and I’d really rather not wake him and his wife if possible. A 22lr is out of the question because I don’t want to wound one and have it go die someplace out of sight and stink to high heaven.
    So that leaves me thinking about trapping.
    You sir, are a good neighbor.

Feedback Score
    Can't say I've ever trapped one, but pretty much anything that walks or crawls loves peanut butter. I'd recommend live traps and gassing them later just in case the a neighbors pet gets after the peanut butter.

Nothing messes up neighborly relations like a three legged cat.

I've only taken armadillos in the true Texas fashion. They are hell on front end alignment though.

ETA: a little flex pipe hooked to the exhaust and a tarp over the live trap does the deed.
    Last edited by utahjeepr; 12-06-21 at 22:27.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    Peanut butter will definitely attract rats, mice, groundhogs, raccoons, skunks and opossum. Armadillos? eat grubs, which is why they dig.

Recommendations found here include guns and/or traps: https://georgiawildlife.com/sites/de...Armadillos.pdf

A box trap with long guides to funnel the varmint into the trap should help.
    Conibear 220 is supposed to be effective, set at a burrow. Stake it down well.

Could you borrow a crossbow?

Feedback Score
    I have caught them using bananas for bait. Set trap facing burrow. Used 2 long boards to make a funnel for them to follow into mouth of trap as mentioned above. I was told you can just fill the burrow with a water hose, and they are too stupid to come out and therefore drown. Ran A LOT of water into a burrow before realizing, "How do you know if you got him?" Guess the joke was on me.... Good luck, and lemme know if they really do taste like chicken!?

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Apparently there's quite the 'dillo problem in western North Carolina. Wildlife folks say they are next to impossible to trap, and recommend just shooting them. Me, I haven't seen any outside of Texas and southwest US.

Feedback Score
    Chased one down with a hatchet one time when I was really hungry. FYI, those little guys jump about 3 foot straight up in the air when they are startled.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com
    Ask about M4carbine.net discounts
    30 years in business- Since 1992
    robert@jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowdown3 View Post
    Chased one down with a hatchet one time when I was really hungry. FYI, those little guys jump about 3 foot straight up in the air when they are startled.
    Yes they do. The last one I shot took a load of #7-1/2 shot to the head. It was getting at least 24 inches of air as it was thrashing about in the middle of my front yard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast