Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replacing Extractor

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    I bought bulletproof extractors from Wilson, and they worked right out of the package
    Wilson extractors are spec'd to fit Wilson slides. If your slide has the same specs as a Wilson slide, you're good-to-go. If not, you're out of luck. Not long ago I was in the process of fitting two Wilson BP extractors to two Caspian slides when I discovered the locating pads of the extractors were too short to allow for setting the correct deflection. I grabbed two EGW extractors and got them fitted with no issues. Either the Caspian extractor bores were drilled crooked or they were positioned further outboard than those in Wilson slides. I don't need this kind of surprise when fitting extractors so EGW are my default. I never have to wonder if they'll fit. I also like that their hooks are longer vertically which allows me to tweak them just right for a specific pistol.

Most folks don't understand the critical nature of extractor deflection. If you set the deflection to no more than .010", you will have a very tough time adding enough tension to the extractor to negatively affect feeding. Extractors with excessive deflection may mostly run fine except for the random, unexplained failure-to-feed malfunction.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_in_Allentown View Post
    Wilson extractors are spec'd to fit Wilson slides. If your slide has the same specs as a Wilson slide, you're good-to-go. If not, you're out of luck. Not long ago I was in the process of fitting two Wilson BP extractors to two Caspian slides when I discovered the locating pads of the extractors were too short to allow for setting the correct deflection. I grabbed two EGW extractors and got them fitted with no issues. Either the Caspian extractor bores were drilled crooked or they were positioned further outboard than those in Wilson slides. I don't need this kind of surprise when fitting extractors so EGW are my default. I never have to wonder if they'll fit. I also like that their hooks are longer vertically which allows me to tweak them just right for a specific pistol.

Most folks don't understand the critical nature of extractor deflection. If you set the deflection to no more than .010", you will have a very tough time adding enough tension to the extractor to negatively affect feeding. Extractors with excessive deflection may mostly run fine except for the random, unexplained failure-to-feed malfunction.
    I dropped one into a trp and it works perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    I dropped one into a trp and it works perfect
    Which tells me the Springfield slide has the same dimensions as the Wilson slide.

Or . . . it tells me that your luck is strong and you should by a lottery ticket.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12