Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SBR - A5 Question

Feedback Score

SBR - A5 Question

IN the process of building an SBR using a 10.5 inch barrel with a carbine gas system and a gas port in the .070 to .073 range. Would like to also use an A5 set up on this but unsure which Sprinco spring to use and buffer weight. On my middy I used the green spring and a VLTOR 5.3 oz buffer but not sure which one to use with this set up. I'm guessing the green will be fine for this application as well but wondering about buffer weight too. TIA!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The Green is the only choice for a Sprinco rifle spring.

The VLTOR supplied spring also works great for most people.

The A5H1 would be a good choice for this.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    The Green is the only choice for a Sprinco rifle spring.

The VLTOR supplied spring also works great for most people.

The A5H1 would be a good choice for this.
    Thanks for that. Other than someone saying don't use the A5 with that set up, the buffer weight was my next ??
    Last edited by Dutch110; 12-13-21 at 10:00.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

SBR - A5 Question

Which buffer really depends on the gas supply / efficiency of the overall rifle.

My DD MK18 has a VLTOR on back with an H3 buffer, VLTOR spring and it works just dandy.

I use the A5 in all my built rifles, so doubt you'll hear don't use it here.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 12-13-21 at 15:03.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Which buffer really depends on the gas efficiency of the overall rifle.

My DD MK18 has a VLTOR on back with an H3 buffer, VLTOR spring and it works just dandy.

I use the A5 in all my built rifles, so doubt you'll hear don't use it here.
    Which makes sense since my recollection is that gas port on the DD barrels is opened up a bit more. I have one of their barrels on another build. The BCG is good to go on this current build. OCKS, good rings etc etc so that part of the equation should be ok. Block is dimpled but not pinned. What I don't know for certain, and I don't have the pins to measure, is the exact gas port size. I do know the range as stated but not the exact one on this barrel. But as long as I get in the general vicinity on the buffer weight Ill be fine. After all, the worst thing that happens is I build up my collection of A5 buffers lol.

I have only done the A5 on one other build but I like it. Nest up will be retrofitting it to my 7.62 x 39 build. That is a CLGS with something like a .098 port size so I am thinking that one will require some weight behind it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I run green with a 0.070 ported 10.3 (DD barrel) and A5H2. Works suppressed and unsuppressed.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dan1612 View Post
    I run green with a 0.070 ported 10.3 (DD barrel) and A5H2. Works suppressed and unsuppressed.
    I sold my MK18 but had the same setup as dan and it ran fantastic.
    nawai

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Green
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As others have said, your only Sprinco option is the Green spring (the other colors won't be long enough for safe use in an A5 tube)

I believe Vltor, Colt, and BCM also have rifle length springs, but I don't know how they stack up in spring power. I think the Sprinco Green is the stiffest

Feedback Score
    Thanks Gents. My original question was poorly worded but you guys got me what I needed despite my ysdexlia.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast