Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Viability of converting M4s to semi auto?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Viability of converting M4s to semi auto?

A little backstory...

I installed an aftermarket trigger in my vintage LE, that resulted in reliability issues, to say the very least. I wasn't able to locate the original trigger (it's probably in a box in storage somewhere), so I just ordered a Colt milspec trigger. The new trigger did fix the issue, but now I find out yesterday (thanks to this forum!) that that very trigger is not only not the milspec Schmid triggers we've come to know, but that it's also part of a recall. How awesome is that, huh?

So anyways, the plan now is to simply buy a Colt full auto FCG and cut off the naughty bits. And this got me thinking, why not just have an SOT order a real M4, destroy the receiver, then give us the parts. Grind the naughty bits off the FCG, drop everything in a semi lower, and there you have it.

While this might sound extreme, it's the only way I can think of to get your hands on milspec parts anymore. I'm wondering how easy it is for SOTs to access M4s, and what the cost might be.
    Last edited by okie; 12-27-21 at 21:28.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    What???? I could be wrong, but, yeah, that seems extreme. If you're worried about getting quality FCG parts, since semi FCG parts aren't "milspec", wouldn't it be easier just to order them from another well known and respected company?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    What???? I could be wrong, but, yeah, that seems extreme. If you're worried about getting quality FCG parts, since semi FCG parts aren't "milspec", wouldn't it be easier just to order them from another well known and respected company?
    I tried, but I couldn't cut through all the smoke and mirrors. Specialized doesn't have any Schmid semi auto FCGs in stock, which kinda makes me think they're not making them anymore. So I just said screw it, I'll order the FA one and cut the little protrusions off. 10 minutes with a dremel and voila, guaranteed milspec semi auto FCG. The only downside is the safety will spin, but who really cares? I can't see that causing any problems. The only potential problem I see is if someone didn't know what they were doing and got it hot enough to anneal it. But if you cut slow and dunk it in water occasionally it's going to be fine.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Destroying a gun to take parts out and destroy them too is insane. Agree with TomMcC... just order them from a legit company.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    I tried, but I couldn't cut through all the smoke and mirrors. Specialized doesn't have any Schmid semi auto FCGs in stock, which kinda makes me think they're not making them anymore. So I just said screw it, I'll order the FA one and cut the little protrusions off. 10 minutes with a dremel and voila, guaranteed milspec semi auto FCG. The only downside is the safety will spin, but who really cares? I can't see that causing any problems. The only potential problem I see is if someone didn't know what they were doing and got it hot enough to anneal it. But if you cut slow and dunk it in water occasionally it's going to be fine.
    Some Colt ARs came with 16 hammers installed. You don't have to do much modification. An AR safety and maybe modifying the tail on the trigger would do it. I'm still lost... I've never had issues with "GI" triggers that come in LMT, Colt, BCM, etc.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Okie,

Its possible you are over thinking it. Buy a BCM FCG and be done with it.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Okie,

Its possible you are over thinking it. Buy a BCM FCG and be done with it.
    But that doesn’t meet the TDP!!! Ha ha ha

Feedback Score
    Or buy a SOLGW I know they only use Schmid tool triggers

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Or get a MBT-2S and enjoy the crisp break, as no one seems to have the doubling problem you experienced with the Geissele.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Or buy this:

Colt M16 Select-Fire to Semi-Auto Conversion Kit

https://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-M...it-p/sf2sa.htm

or this:

Colt AR15/M4 Mil-Spec Fire Control Parts Kit
    All factory Colt mil-spec fire control parts needed for the AR15/M4 semi-automatic rifle.

https://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-A...p/spk99795.htm

which ever works best.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 12-09-21 at 14:16.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast