Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Viability of converting M4s to semi auto?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    True dedication to your craft, a master class in trolling.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Starting a want to buy thread for an unused, Schmid marked trigger group…..with photos requested of the markings, lower it came out of, and Colt box it was delivered in (paying a premium for all these extra requirements) might possibly be a more feasible solution.

I’ve got 4 sets in a drawer right now.
    Last edited by grizzman; 12-24-21 at 12:58.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It's not 2003; I really dont understand why this is so hard.

I could probably walk down the street and find an AR trigger that will flat work, DGAF about the box it came in.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    A little backstory...

I installed an aftermarket trigger in my vintage LE, that resulted in reliability issues, to say the very least. I wasn't able to locate the original trigger (it's probably in a box in storage somewhere), so I just ordered a Colt milspec trigger. The new trigger did fix the issue, but now I find out yesterday (thanks to this forum!) that that very trigger is not only not the milspec Schmid triggers we've come to know (but rather a MIM imposter made in the bowels in India somewhere), but that it's also part of a recall. How awesome is that, huh?

So anyways, the plan now is to simply buy a Colt full auto FCG and cut off the naughty bits. I honestly can't see any other way to be sure that it's not going to be some knockoff MIM crap from China or India. And this got me thinking, why not just have an SOT order a real M4, destroy the receiver, then give us the parts. Grind the naughty bits off the FCG, drop everything in a semi lower, and there you have it.

While this might sound extreme, it's the only way I can think of to get your hands on milspec parts anymore. I'm wondering how easy it is for SOTs to access M4s, and what the cost might be.
    Wel for one, an SOT cant just order an M4. Second, if they could it would be expensive to buy a whole gun just to get a FCG. Pretty silly idea.

I thought we were done with the whole "chart" thing...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Some Colt ARs came with 16 hammers installed. You don't have to do much modification. An AR safety and maybe modifying the tail on the trigger would do it. I'm still lost... I've never had issues with "GI" triggers that come in LMT, Colt, BCM, etc.
    I've not any issues with it per se in the hundred or so rounds I've put on it, but it got recalled so I'm not going to find out either way. I was disappointed to see it's not Schmid, more disappointed to find out it was recalled, and yet more disappointed to read that it's likely MIM, which it sure looks like it.

All I know is the FA FCGs are the same price, are guaranteed to be milspec, and modifying them is quick, easy, and foolproof. To me, this is a no brainer. And now that the CR has replaced the LEs, it seems like just starting with an M4 parts kit is the easiest and maybe the cheapest option.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Wel for one, an SOT cant just order an M4. Second, if they could it would be expensive to buy a whole gun just to get a FCG. Pretty silly idea.

I thought we were done with the whole "chart" thing...
    No I'm saying turn the entire thing into a complete parts kit. You would get the full upper with all of the lower parts, minus the sear. But yea, that's what I was asking about, was the logistics of doing that. I mean there are dealers who sell M4s, so I don't see what would be stopping them from destroying the receiver and selling the parts off of it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Okie,

Its possible you are over thinking it. Buy a BCM FCG and be done with it.
    It does appear they use Schmid FCGs, so that's good. But an FA FCG from Specialized is the same price, and sure is sure.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    No I'm saying turn the entire thing into a complete parts kit. You would get the full upper with all of the lower parts, minus the sear. But yea, that's what I was asking about, was the logistics of doing that. I mean there are dealers who sell M4s, so I don't see what would be stopping them from destroying the receiver and selling the parts off of it.
    gotcha. yeah you could recover the cost of the FCG by parting out the rest maybe.

Dealers who sell M4s are having them drop shipped to PDs. They do not stock inventory.

Feedback Score
    Legacy and modern Colt FCG parts, including cage code FCG parts are at Charlies. Somebodies Google-Fu is puny and weak.

https://charliescustomclones.com/acc...snf=1&brand=78

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There are a number of vendors that use Schmid FCGs. The BCM trigger is one, and so is the ALG. There are others. Easy button.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast