Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Viability of converting M4s to semi auto?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    A little backstory...

I installed an aftermarket trigger in my vintage LE, that resulted in reliability issues, to say the very least. I wasn't able to locate the original trigger (it's probably in a box in storage somewhere), so I just ordered a Colt milspec trigger. The new trigger did fix the issue, but now I find out yesterday (thanks to this forum!) that that very trigger is not only not the milspec Schmid triggers we've come to know (but rather a MIM imposter made in the bowels in India somewhere), but that it's also part of a recall. How awesome is that, huh?

So anyways, the plan now is to simply buy a Colt full auto FCG and cut off the naughty bits. I honestly can't see any other way to be sure that it's not going to be some knockoff MIM crap from China or India. And this got me thinking, why not just have an SOT order a real M4, destroy the receiver, then give us the parts. Grind the naughty bits off the FCG, drop everything in a semi lower, and there you have it.

While this might sound extreme, it's the only way I can think of to get your hands on milspec parts anymore. I'm wondering how easy it is for SOTs to access M4s, and what the cost might be.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Black Rifle View Post
    Legacy and modern Colt FCG parts, including cage code FCG parts are at Charlies. Somebodies Google-Fu is puny and weak.

https://charliescustomclones.com/acc...snf=1&brand=78
    Charlies... geezz...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    There are a number of vendors that use Schmid FCGs. The BCM trigger is one, and so is the ALG. There are others. Easy button.
    The only Schmid triggers I was able to find were nickel teflon, and I don't swing that way.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    gotcha. yeah you could recover the cost of the FCG by parting out the rest maybe.

Dealers who sell M4s are having them drop shipped to PDs. They do not stock inventory.
    I'm not talking about trying to get a trigger, those are easy enough to get on their own. I'm talking about trying to get all the parts, minus the sear and lower. So that way you would have a real fully assembled M4 upper and all the lower parts.

Is it technically possible for a class III dealer to order an M4, destroy the receiver, and then keep the parts?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Have you even seen what it costs to source all the TDP parts individually these days? I hear the going rate for an M4 is under a grand. How does this not make sense?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Have you even seen what it costs to source all the TDP parts individually these days? I hear the going rate for an M4 is under a grand. How does this not make sense?
    Seems like a long and winding road to travel for something that can be sourced for under $40 from ALG for their non nickel-teflon triggers. Or any number of other adequate triggers.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Seems like a long and winding road to travel for something that can be sourced for under $40 from ALG for their non nickel-teflon triggers. Or any number of other adequate triggers.
    Yea but the trigger is the least of it. Just a milspec assembled upper from Charlie's or Specialized is going for over a grand now by itself, and then you have to get the lower parts on top of that. If dealers are still paying under a grand for M4s they could retail parts kits for hundreds less than what you can source all the parts for right now.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    He doesn’t want a solution, he wants to troll Colt purists.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    He doesn’t want a solution, he wants to troll Colt purists.
    That's absolutely untrue. Merely trying to offer a potential solution to the problem of no longer being able to get real milspec parts on the commercial market for reasonable prices. To build something equivalent to the old school LEs you're looking at probably 1500 plus right now. The used stuff is drying up, and there are people who refuse to buy used in the first place.

If my suggestion is logistically possible, it would mean being able to get a real M4 upper plus all the lower parts for maybe around a grand. Pop them into a lower of your choice, and voila, you've got a semi auto M4, just like the LEs used to be in their glory days, and all for around the same price as these CR abominations.

Feedback Score
    ..... I'm talking about trying to get all the parts, minus the sear and lower. So that way you would have a real fully assembled M4 upper and all the lower parts..

.... the problem of no longer being able to get real milspec parts on the commercial market for reasonable prices. ...
    If this is a real thing problem, it too will pass, just like $1 a round 5.56 and 9mm.

If you are going to buy a rifle, just buy an older LE6920 with all the parts you want already installed. Or buy Schmid LPK parts. The last batch of PSA enhanced triggers I bought were all Schmid.

You plan is illogical and pointless.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast