https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/12/us/ca...ics/index.html

When the Texas abortion law with its “bounty-hunter” private enforcement came out we talked about this approach being weaponized against gun owners. Newsome says he has his staffers working on an anti gun law now based on the TX mechanism.

In light of the Supreme Court's decision, Newsom said he directed his staff to draft a bill that would allow private citizens to seek injunctive relief "against anyone who manufactures, distributes, or sells an assault weapon or ghost gun kit or parts in the State of California."
The bill would also provide for statutory damages of at least $10,000 in addition to attorney's fees, the governor's statement said.
Of course, they seem to not be able to try to get some cash for the state out of it (see above bolder) which would seem to make this not like TXC law, and a lot easier to attack.

Hard to know what “assault weapon” means here, but aren’t they kid of illegal now? The 2A is a far more identified and clear right than abortion. If they are going to go Willy-nilly after guns, lets take a solid conservative state and make bad mouthing Trump against a TX style bounty law.

I can’t think of anyway that this would go sideways. Does it come with a WitSec contract?

I know this is all posturing, and I fully expect CA to screw this up. Never expect a DEM to overlook a chance for the Holy TRoika; useless law, virtue signaling, and unintended consequences.

I think gun companies should only lease guns to LEO organizations, so that they can pull the leases when the states or cities go rouge against guns.