Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Squib round/Stuck 5.56 bullet

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I've run into with handguns a few times.
    I've been able to tap a pistol bullet out years ago, but the narrow bore means a narrow rod to drive on... and more flex and bend.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I've been able to tap a pistol bullet out years ago, but the narrow bore means a narrow rod to drive on... and more flex and bend.
    Yep, I ran into that exact scenario one time. I don't remember what happened but I first tried using a wooden dowel rod and smashed it to bits in the bore. After that failure I busted out a piece of brass rod that luckily did the trick. I am no where near good enough with a drill, if the brass rod hadn't worked it would be gunsmith time for me.

I also suck at getting taper pins out and I absolutely hate those bastages. I ended up dremeling them off one of my barrels, as I horked up the ends so bad there was no way they were driving out.

45 ACP is a breeze, I've had great success with that and wooden dowel rods, although not often.

Glad you were able to get it out without messing up the barrel.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 12-14-21 at 08:53.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    I am no where near good enough with a drill, if the brass rod hadn't worked it would be gunsmith time for me.
    I used a drill press, and bullet material is relatively soft, so no struggle to keep the bit straight.

I also suck at getting taper pins out and I absolutely hate those bastages. I ended up dremeling them off one of my barrels, as I horked up the ends so bad there was no way they were driving out.
    I've had these out before. I used to be good at this stuff. I'm glad it wasn't someone else's gun. I need a good punch set.

45 ACP is a breeze, I've had great success with that and wooden dowel rods, although not often.
    Yeah. There was a guy who kept getting his 45s stuck in his Glock. Seemed to be able to pound them out fairly easily.

Glad you were able to get it out without messing up the barrel.
    Me too. It's an FN double chrome lined 10.5 that I've grown fond of. It's the truck gun we have in the pickup every weekend at the range.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Once had a squib in a Sig 220. Wrapped a few duct tape rings evenly spaced along a piece of brass all thread to align in barrel. Holding vertically, I tapped exposed rod down on a block of wood. Slug removal was easy. Don't know how that would translate to a rod of whatever material going down a skinny rifle bore. Would prolly want to wrap a stretch of the rod at whichever end is protruding from the barrel to protect crown/leade, depending which way you are driving...
    Last edited by triggerjerk; 12-14-21 at 11:31. Reason: Ohdetails

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yeah. That is the problem with 22 cal. WAY more grip in the bore than I had imagined. I couldn't get any movement with a steal rod whacking it straight down on my heavy vise, and there's not much extra room to protect the bore. I put a tape mark to see if it was budging... nothing after the bullet mashed the tip down.

If it was stuck in the middle of a longer barrel, I don't know what I'd have done.

Feedback Score
    Wonder if heat gun wudda helped. Hope to never find out!

If stuck in longer barrel, make a pistol barrel out of it if lodged past gas port?🤔

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
    Wonder if heat gun wudda helped. Hope to never find out!
    Lead and copper have a higher coefficient of thermal expansion than steel. I think it would be better to soak the barrel in liquid nitrogen.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've heard that pencil barrels expand when shot and longer strings of fire and thus open up to the point where accuracy suffers. I think I would have tried heating the barrel a little if it had occurred to me.

Feedback Score
    I hear you, Disciple. Maybe time it before significant heat transfers from barrel to bullet? Or not... Of course in my simple mind, I would envision any metal expanding in all directions resulting in larger o.d. and smaller hole. Glad it's not like that, or heating my uppers to accept barrels wouldn't have worked. Wife wudda been pissed if I'd had to empty the freezer to make room for rifle barrels in order to shrink barrel extensions.... Again, hope we can all somehow avoid this in the future.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Yeah. That is the problem with 22 cal. WAY more grip in the bore than I had imagined. I couldn't get any movement with a steal rod whacking it straight down on my heavy vise, and there's not much extra room to protect the bore. I put a tape mark to see if it was budging... nothing after the bullet mashed the tip down.

If it was stuck in the middle of a longer barrel, I don't know what I'd have done.
    That's when a 20 ton press comes in handy.
    Train 2 Win

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast