Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Squib round/Stuck 5.56 bullet

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B52U View Post
    How close were you to just buying a new barrel?
    Not very. I really like that little barrel. It's loud as hell, but it's the double chrome with the gas just right.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I had to remove a projectile from a Yugoslavian M24/47 8mm Mauser barrel. The bullet was lodged halfway down the barrel and trying to tap it out with a 1/4" brass rod and hammer did not work. I tried pressing the bullet out with grease and using compressed air without any luck. The rod bowed quite a bit when using a 20 ton press and I was afraid I was going to wreck the barrel.

I drove a wood plug in the chamber, tilted the rifle against my workbench muzzle up, then filled the bore with Kroil. I waited 15 days, then was able to drive the bullet out without a whole lot of effort.

There has to be an easier way. If anyone has a better idea about how to remove a lodged bullet from a barrel, I am all ears.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    If anyone has a better idea about how to remove a lodged bullet from a barrel, I am all ears.
    What do you think of the method I related in post #27? Is that what you meant by pressing the bullet out with grease?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    What do you think of the method I related in post #27? Is that what you meant by pressing the bullet out with grease?
    I tried it once using wheel bearing grease and it worked. I suspect that the grease was forced between the projectile and barrel in that instance. I am always concerned about hydraulically bulging the barrel if I am not careful.

I learned the grease trick when I worked on cars. I'd pack the center of a pilot bearing and drive the grease in to hydraulically press the pilot bearing out of a flywheel while doing a clutch job. The flywheel has a lot more metal mass around the pilot bearing than a rifle barrel has metal surrounding a lodged projectile, so I felt more at ease using a hammer than on a rifle barrel.

I thought of pouring copper solvent in the barrel and possibly weakening the bullet jacket, but never tried it.

One thing I always do is remove the action/barrel assembly from the stock. That way I don't wreck the bedding when I am tapping or pressing out a projectile.
    Last edited by T2C; 12-19-21 at 17:23.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I tried it once using wheel bearing grease and it worked. I suspect that the grease was forced between the projectile and barrel in that instance. I am always concerned about hydraulically bulging the barrel if I am not careful.
    The bullet is going to move long before you could get to that point.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I just had my first rifle squib last week. Didn’t go far enough for me to chamber the next round thankfully. Came out with a rod and three quick whacks. Guess I was “fortunate”. Had it been stubborn, I might have tried do penetrating oil to loosen up a little. Not sure if that would have worked.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I don't know if another round could have chambered. I don't think it would have. I did run some CLP in front and behind the bullet after the first few failed attempts to bang it out.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Good that a round wouldn't chamber. That's some bad juju

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I didn't try to chamber a round since I knew there was problems immediately. I could hear the powder burning, and it sounded like the action spring on an AR rifle rattling, almost.

It was freaking me out to have an upper/gun anywhere with a projectile stuck in it. Paranoia that it could accidentally get put into action.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I think I would have been tempted to make some sort of 1/2-28 adaptor for my high pressure grease gun. Maybe a little pre-soak with Kroil. Then fill the bore with oil, attach grease gun and start pumping with the chamber end pointed into a bucket with a decent layer of sand and rags in it. I don't think the bullet would come flying out - as soon is it moves a smidge the pressure goes back to nothing.
    Last edited by JiminAZ; 12-22-21 at 18:11.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast