Thread: Cheap pump job

Feedback Score

Cheap pump job

Was looking at Maverick 88 18.5 inch job at a local farm and ranch store. $220. I don’t know much about shotguns and don’t need much. Just something to have. Google searching says there a good simple pump. Not looking to hunt with it. What else do you recommend looking at? 500, 870, SXP?

Feedback Score
    I've always liked my 870 real well. I supposed if I needed to leave one up in the barn it would be an economical choice. It is made by Mossberg so I would put trust in it before I bought one of the Turkish made shotguns. Just my .02

Feedback Score
    The Maverick is nearly identical to the 500 except for the cross bolt safety vs the tang safety on the 500. Assembled in the US from largely Mexican built components. I'm told parts compatibility is upward of 90 percent with the mossy. I hear they are decent shottys but I've not owned one. IMHO, they are the mossy equivalent of an express model 870. Lower fit and finish, cheaper components, and built for a lower price point.

I prefer the safety of the 500/590. FWIW used 500s and 870s are everywhere for roughly the same price as the Mav.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    FWIW used 500s and 870s are everywhere for roughly the same price as the Mav.
    Honestly this, and a used 500 has 100% parts compatability.

Andy

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    FWIW used 500s and 870s are everywhere for roughly the same price as the Mav.
    Honestly this, and a used 500 has 100% parts compatability.

Andy