Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I Think I Just Bought a 1903 - Range Results in last post.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I have it put together with the exception of the upper band screw (have to get brave and drill the hole). It is not correct or perfect, but I plan to enjoy shooting it for years to come. With my H&R M1/CMP Special Rack.

P.S. The stock is pretty dark. It is a NOS stock made in 1945, so it was a bit mottled after I got it cleaned up. I used Dark Walnut stain on it, which certainly lived up to its name. The finish is pure tung oil cut 50/50 with mineral spirits. It needs a few more coats down the line.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 02-15-22 at 14:36.

Feedback Score
    Looks good. You sure didn't drag your feet getting it done.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I have it put together with the exception of the upper band screw (have to get brave and drill the hole). It is not correct or perfect, but I plan to enjoy shooting it for years to come. With my H&R M1/CMP Special Rack.

P.S. The stock is pretty dark. It is a NOS stock made in 1945, so it was a bit mottled after I got it cleaned up. I used Dark Walnut stain on it, which certainly lived up to its name. The finish is pure tung oil cut 50/50 with mineral spirits. It needs a few more coats down the line.
    Very nice Andy looks great! I'm working on a guy that has a Smith Corona 1903A3 that's Sportarized but he is asking $600 for it,,, I am interested in "only" the receiver and figure I'll sell off anything I don't want/need but still working on him. I'm thinking more along the lines of $300 so we will see! If I even get it I won't be as quick as you but I'll keep you posted if I get the rifle or if my search continues! Again great looking set, now a range report is due!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Thank you both!

I will be at the range with the rifle this weekend for sure.

Oof, $600 seems high, but everything Milsurp seems high to me nowadays.

This is how mine looked in the seller's ad:

Its kind of funny, none of the pictures showed it but the floorplate was so shiny when I got it that it looked chromed.

So far, I have replaced or installed:
    Stock/handguard (bought)
    Buttplate (on hand)
    Bolt (bought)
    Bolt sleeve (on hand)
    Striker Assy (on hand)
    Follower (bought)
    Floorplate (bought)
    Grooved trigger (bought)
    Magazine cut-off spring and detent (on hand)
    Bolt stop/spring (bought)
    Rear sight parts (on hand)
    Lower band and swivel (on hand)
    Lower band spring (bought)
    Upper band (on hand)
    Stacking swivel (bought)

Wow - I guess I could have just said I replaced everything except the barreled action and trigger guard.

I replaced some things that were functional because I had them on hand or they were priced low enough to add them to the cart when I was buying other stuff.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 02-16-22 at 08:16.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Made it to the range this morning and shot just over 40 rounds at 50 yards from the bench using the peep sight.

The rifle operated smoothly and the trigger is pretty good, though it has a bit of smooth creep. Recoil didn't bother me a bit because I slipped a piece of 1/2" stiff foam in my jacket before I started.

The sun was shining brightly from the front right and I struggled a bit with that. Target has one 3 shot group and one 4 shot group - orange bull is 2".

Terrible lighting for a rifle pic

Last edited by AndyLate; 02-20-22 at 17:19.

Feedback Score
    Man that looks promising.

Also the stock looks really good.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    That turned out very nice sir. Thank you for saving a piece of 'America'!

-Rainman

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Thank you both!

I will be at the range with the rifle this weekend for sure.

Oof, $600 seems high, but everything Milsurp seems high to me nowadays.

This is how mine looked in the seller's ad:

Its kind of funny, none of the pictures showed it but the floorplate was so shiny when I got it that it looked chromed.

So far, I have replaced or installed:
    Stock/handguard (bought)
    Buttplate (on hand)
    Bolt (bought)
    Bolt sleeve (on hand)
    Striker Assy (on hand)
    Follower (bought)
    Floorplate (bought)
    Grooved trigger (bought)
    Magazine cut-off spring and detent (on hand)
    Bolt stop/spring (bought)
    Rear sight parts (on hand)
    Lower band and swivel (on hand)
    Lower band spring (bought)
    Upper band (on hand)
    Stacking swivel (bought)

Wow - I guess I could have just said I replaced everything except the barreled action and trigger guard.

I replaced some things that were functional because I had them on hand or they were priced low enough to add them to the cart when I was buying other stuff.

Andy
    Very cool !! Yea if the $600 was for a rifle in somewhat "original" or should I say traditional configuration then $600 would be OK, but it's Sportarized, and everything will go except the receiver! I threw an offer of $250 plus shipping at him and he got back and wants at least $400 or he will keep it. I get it and understand & I am probably a douche for offering so low but I only need the receiver, LOL nuttin else! I'll keep looking and maybe the guy will get tired of sitting on a rifle he will never use & I'll get lucky. Again ya did good Andy and that's a great-looking rifle and an awesome piece of history, BIG congrats !!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    Very cool !! Yea if the $600 was for a rifle in somewhat "original" or should I say traditional configuration then $600 would be OK, but it's Sportarized, and everything will go except the receiver! I threw an offer of $250 plus shipping at him and he got back and wants at least $400 or he will keep it. I get it and understand & I am probably a douche for offering so low but I only need the receiver, LOL nuttin else! I'll keep looking and maybe the guy will get tired of sitting on a rifle he will never use & I'll get lucky. Again ya did good Andy and that's a great-looking rifle and an awesome piece of history, BIG congrats !!
    $400 is right at what I paid. You are not a douche for offering what you feel is fair for you to pay, though.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 02-21-22 at 11:43.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    $400 is right at what I paid. You are not a douche for offering what you feel is fair for you to pay, though.

Andy
    LOL, thanks. The difference is you received a working/correct BBL on yours, the one I'm looking at is cut-down with no front sight slot, it's gone so it's not useful for me. There are lots of 1903 & 1903A3 rifles out there complete but I don't want to take a piece of history and configure/change it the way I want it. While many are complete and in the correct configuration most are NOT correct or original so it really wouldn't be that big a deal but I just can't bring myself to do it, LOL Plus I like the pursuit and building it the way I want it, all part of the fun/challenge. I can go over to the CMP Forum and buy a rifle most any day for $800ish up to $1500ish but that's not what I want. I'll keep looking and maybe hit this guy up again in a while if he doesn't sell what he has.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast