Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I Think I Just Bought a 1903 - Range Results in last post.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I understand you completely. It is unfortunate that folks don't understand the monetary difference between a "correct" and sporterized '03/'03A3.

Andy

P.S. I'm not saying mine is correct, of course.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I understand you completely. It is unfortunate that folks don't understand the monetary difference between a "correct" and sporterized '03/'03A3.

Andy

P.S. I'm not saying mine is correct, of course.
    Right on Andy,, I get it, out of all mine I have 1 M1 that is correct as it came off the line, it's awesome & it cost me but that's OK, all the rest are mix masters & I'm content with that. it's funny when ya see a Mil-Spec rifle @ a gun shop & the guy behind the counter is pretty fast to say check this baby out it's all "correct" !! Ah, yea, OK. Just because it's a Springer/Winchester/H&R etc and all the parts are the same manufacturers it's normally a looooong way from actually correct, as in how it came off the manufacturing line! There are so many changes, updates, improvements on all Mil-Spec rifles its mind-boggling to even try and figure it out, LOL Especially on 1903 & the 1903A3 manufacturers shared parts! Many Smith Coronas have Remington parts & that's how they should be! Winchester had trouble with their M1s making some parts so SA gave them parts off their line,soooo Winchester M1s can have SA parts. Myself included I'm just happy to have a safe, functioning/accurate piece of history that I always feel saw some action and could tell a story if it could only talk! That's my fascination and thrill of owning Mil-Spec, Surplus rifles, its History in your hand ++10 !! Keep the range reports coming and when winter finally goes away in my neck of the woods I'll be out myself with plenty of pic's and range reports myself.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Made it to the range Sunday and shot another 40 rounds - 20 Turkish M2 (1963) and 20 Federal blue box 180 SP. The 180 grain rounds have noticeably more recoil, of course. I like this rifle more every time I shoot it, but I really need to work out shooting iron sights again. I drilled out the aperture on the rear sight a bit when I put it together so I don't have trouble getting a sight picture, I just shoot too many fliers. This is 20 rounds of Turk surplus M2 at 50 yards and I am sure the rifle and ammo are both capable of better results (bull is 2").

I thnk I will break out a .22 with a peep sight for a couple of range sessions and shoot the Springfield at 100 yards the next time I take it out.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 02-28-22 at 07:38.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Something to consider when selecting ammunition is the warning the CMP issued about shooting modern ammunition in 1903 Springfields and M1 Garands.

"The CMP advises to not use .30/06 ammunition in M1 Garands, 1903s, and 1903A3s that is loaded beyond 50,000 CUP and has a bullet weight more than 172gr. These rifles are at least 70 years old and were not designed for max loads and super heavy bullets. Always wear hearing and eye protection when firing an M1 Garand, 1903 and/or 1903A3 rifle."
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    The CMP advice on ammunition for the '03/'03A3s is interesting. Yes, they are old rifles, but the nature of steel doesn't change over time. SAAMI was quite aware of the number of surplus rifles chambered in 30-06 when they set their pressure specification. A late production 1903 or any 1903A3 is certainly as capable of handling modern commercial ammunition as a Winchester model 70 of the same vintage and you don't see the same caution with the model 70s.

I "think" the CMP advice is the result of simplification. Modern, slower burning, powders that take full advantage of the 30-06's capacity change the pressure curve from the ammunition the M1 gas system was designed around and will accelerate wear or damage parts. There is also concern with primers and slam fires in the M1. In a perfect world, we would have tons of modern US surplus M2 ball or AP to shoot in our M1s.

I cannot help but think the CMP just lumped the 1903/1903A3 in with the M1 in their advice. On the other hand, I have newer 30-06 rifles with less historical significance if I feel the need to stretch the round's capabilities. Better I launch parts from my Ruger M77 or Interarms Mark X than a 1903.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 03-21-23 at 07:20.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123