Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Think I Just Bought a 1903 - Range Results in last post.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

I Think I Just Bought a 1903 - Range Results in last post.

I got an email from a vendor with a discount code, and noticed they had a "woodless" 1903 with a good bore for $400. I think I sprained my shoulder pulling my CC out of my wallet to place the order.

It is a Springfield, (edit) built in 1930, a bit newer than my Dad's 1921 dated '03 I that I returned to military configuration and was subsequently gifted.

They are closed on the weekend, so I have to wait until Monday to see if I was the first buyer. Wish me luck.

Andy

P.S. I still have the cut-down scant stock from my Dad's rifle and may just run it like that.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 02-20-22 at 16:40.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Cool. Restoring 1903s can be a lot of fun. Or a huge headache. Sometimes, both.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-17 View Post
    Cool. Restoring 1903s can be a lot of fun. Or a huge headache. Sometimes, both.
    My Dad's was both.

I have been half-heartedly looking for a drill rifle to re-build, hopefully this is a better starting point.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 12-18-21 at 08:16.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    An update - the rifle (barreled receiver?) arrived at my LGS but the cannot transfer it yet because the seller didn't include a copy of their FFL.

It is a real mixmaster: 1930 SA receiver, 1942 SA barrel (bore looks good), non-sculpted rear sight collar, Remington marked parkerized or matte blue milled TG, blued but silver worn floorplate, and CC parkerized bolt.

I will replace the poor quality CC bolt. The magazine disconnect is loose - I am pretty sure I have the parts to fix it on hand.

If I buy a NS bolt body and $100 military stock/HG, I will be right at its resale value. On the other hand, a high SN number 1903 with a good bore in a military configuration will be a fun shooter.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 12-28-21 at 08:55.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If it does not have a PG stock it is just a shoulder mangler .

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lowprone View Post
    If it does not have a PG stock it is just a shoulder mangler .
    Yep, my Dad's 1903 has a straight stock. I know it was the most used stock by far but I am not a fan.

The action is currently sitting in the cut scant stock that came with my Dad's rifle and the comb height seems perfect. If I understand, the C (full pistol grip) and scant (semi pistol grip) stocks have a longer LOP and higher comb/less drop than the straight grip stocks. Unfortunately the C stocks are harder to find and the scant stocks are kinda ugly.

I am certain the gun is a mix master that someone assembled. The barrel (SA 42) has a great bore but has pitting under the outside finish, I assume it was re-parked after rusting. The rear sight collar is the late style without lightening cuts and I thought only Remington used them. Remington TG, SA action and barrel. Bolt provided was a very crudely machined Commercial Controls (CC) unit.

I guess I can look at it as being spared the need to keep it "correct".

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 01-16-22 at 13:38.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Wow, sounds cool Andy! You found just what I want, a mix master with a solid receiver, that's what I wanted cus I didn't want to feel bad about taking a complete rifle and wreaking havoc with the "History" of it, that's all ya need to bring it back and have a great rifle. Depending on what you have laying around & your needs there is no shortage of good 1903 parts out there. I took a basic receiver and went way overboard but it turned into one of my finest rifles & then like a dumb ass I traded it to a buddy that bugged me for a year, LOL By overboard I mean I had a Krieger BBL installed had an EGW scope mount installed and then had the action bedded I also had a Leupold VXIII 4x14x50 scope on it,, man what a rifle! The buddy I traded it to lives in Missouri now and shoots out to 800++ yards with it and holds his own with rifles costing twice as much,LOL Like I say lots of parts out there, CMP Forum, I saw a NIW BBL last week on another Forum and just in general lots of places have parts & pieces, I also got a lot of goodies @ my local gun show when they were going. Keep us posted on when she is ready for the range,I'll be interested in how she shoots for ya.
    Last edited by m1a_scoutguy; 01-19-22 at 21:24.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    Wow, sounds cool Andy! You found just what I want, a mix master with a solid receiver, that's what I wanted cus I didn't want to feel bad about taking a complete rifle and wreaking havoc with the "History" of it, that's all ya need to bring it back and have a great rifle. Depending on what you have laying around & your needs there is no shortage of good 1903 parts out there. I took a basic receiver and went way overboard but it turned into one of my finest rifles & then like a dumb ass I traded it to a buddy that bugged me for a year, LOL By overboard I mean I had a Krieger BBL installed had an EGW scope mount installed and then had the action bedded I also had a Leupold VXIII 4x14x50 scope on it,, man what a rifle! The buddy I traded it to lives in Missouri now and shoots out to 800++ yards with it and holds his own with rifles costing twice as much,LOL Like I say lots of parts out there, CMP Forum, I saw a NIW BBL last week on another Forum and just in general lots of places have parts & pieces, I also got a lot of goodies @ my local gun show when they were going. Keep us posted on when she is ready for the range,I'll be interested in how she shoots for ya.
    Thats a good looking rifle!

I think maybe my timing is just lousy when it comes to C stocks - the aftermarket stocks available seem to need skills I don't have to fit, CMP will supply and fit a stock for about what I paid for the rifle but have a waiting list, military C stocks seem to run about $100 over that.

I am pretty much convinced a scant stock is fine for this rifle.

I picked up 2 NOS SA bolts from the same '42 date range as the barrel. The price was good and I figure it doubles the chance of headspace being correct.

Other than stock and handguard, I seem to only be short a milled lower band spring and the totally redundant bolt stop.

Just like with my Dad's rifle, I marvel at the attention to detail and complete disregard for economy on the 1903s.

Of course, then OLIAR15 posts pics of a K31 that puts nearly any military rifle to shame when it comes to quality.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 01-28-22 at 08:22.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Thats a good looking rifle!

I think maybe my timing is just lousy when it comes to C stocks - the aftermarket stocks available seem to need skills I don't have to fit, CMP will supply and fit a stock for about what I paid for the rifle but have a waiting list, military C stocks seem to run about $100 over that.

I am pretty much convinced a scant stock is fine for this rifle.

I picked up 2 NOS SA bolts from the same '42 date range as the barrel. The price was good and I figure it doubles the chance of headspace being correct.

Other than stock and handguard, I seem to only be short a milled lower band spring and the totally redundant bolt stop.

Just like with my Dad's rifle, I marvel at the attention to detail and complete disregard for economy on the 1903s.

Of course, then OLIAR15 posts pics of a K31 that puts nearly any military rifle to shame when it comes to quality.

Andy
    Thanks, it was a great project and I enjoyed the hell out of building it and finding all the parts I needed. I bought my stock from the CMP, my Membership had run out but you can still buy new items like BBLs, Stocks, etc, just not "surplus" parts I guess. I will admit I totally f**ked up the stock in-letting but in the end, I sent the whole rifle to Chuck In Denver,(look him up, he is a master @ 1903/A3 rifles". He fixed my cut-off and fixed my stock debacle by bedding it and man that thing could shoot!
    I bought tons of "extra" everything but not sure if I have a lower band spring hangin around, I'll go check and get back at ya. There's tons of them around but shipping will cost ya as much as the dam spring probably, LOL There is a guy kinda local to me that has a Sportarized 1903 and it looks OK but he had shitty pic's on the Forum, all I care about is if the receiver is solid and not in the suspect number of being overheat treated, I guess I'll go snoop and see if it's still around,LOL I'll look for the spring Andy and get back at ya soon. Keep plugging away the rifle will be a fun and historic piece for sure.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    Thanks, it was a great project and I enjoyed the hell out of building it and finding all the parts I needed. I bought my stock from the CMP, my Membership had run out but you can still buy new items like BBLs, Stocks, etc, just not "surplus" parts I guess. I will admit I totally f**ked up the stock in-letting but in the end, I sent the whole rifle to Chuck In Denver,(look him up, he is a master @ 1903/A3 rifles". He fixed my cut-off and fixed my stock debacle by bedding it and man that thing could shoot!
    I bought tons of "extra" everything but not sure if I have a lower band spring hangin around, I'll go check and get back at ya. There's tons of them around but shipping will cost ya as much as the dam spring probably, LOL There is a guy kinda local to me that has a Sportarized 1903 and it looks OK but he had shitty pic's on the Forum, all I care about is if the receiver is solid and not in the suspect number of being overheat treated, I guess I'll go snoop and see if it's still around,LOL I'll look for the spring Andy and get back at ya soon. Keep plugging away the rifle will be a fun and historic piece for sure.
    I apreciate the offer, don't look too hard, please. I know I have a stamped lower band spring.

I have heard of Chuck, I want to say he is the one who said the commercial C stocks are a real gamble right now. For whatever reason, the CMP only sells the C stocks if they install them now. I think minor fitting and finishing a NOS military scant stock is within my abilities. I put a used straight grip stock on my Dad's '03 and learned a little doing that.

Andy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast