Thread: IMI 5.56 Ammo

Feedback Score

IMI 5.56 Ammo

Greetings does anyone have any experience with reloading the IMI 5.56 ammo?
    I bought a bunch of this stuff for the brass for reloading after I shot it up
    what I did notice is whatever powder they use is super dirty after 30+ rounds
    the inside of the bolt carrier group and the firing pin is black and greasy like,
    has anyone experienced this with any other powders, any thoughts would be welcome
    Last edited by Williepete; 12-18-21 at 16:00.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I shot a fair bit of IMI 5.56 and 223 and did not notice them being dirtier than other FMJ rounds. I have/am reloading the brass, really have not noticed a difference there either.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I shot a fair bit of IMI 5.56 and 223 and did not notice them being dirtier than other FMJ rounds. I have/am reloading the brass, really have not noticed a difference there either.

Andy
    Thanks for the input Andy
    I have reloaded a lot of the IMI brass with 335, 2460, x terminator and 748 and the gun runs much cleaner
    was just wondering what powder IMI used to make that kind of difference
    Thanks again WIlliepete

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Williepete View Post
    Thanks for the input Andy
    I have reloaded a lot of the IMI brass with 335, 2460, x terminator and 748 and the gun runs much cleaner
    was just wondering what powder IMI used to make that kind of difference
    Thanks again WIlliepete
    Just out of curiosity Andy what barrel length are you running and is it a gas or a bolt gun
    Thanks again WIlliepete

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Williepete View Post
    Just out of curiosity Andy what barrel length are you running and is it a gas or a bolt gun
    Thanks again WIlliepete
    ARs, primarily a 16" middie. I run my guns pretty wet and don't exacty clean religiously. I have no doubt the IMI ammo tends to be dirty, but I didn't notice it. I also want to say most of the IMI that I shot was 2016 or 2017 vintage and they certainly could have changed powders since then.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    ARs, primarily a 16" middie. I run my guns pretty wet and don't exacty clean religiously. I have no doubt the IMI ammo tends to be dirty, but I didn't notice it. I also want to say most of the IMI that I shot was 2016 or 2017 vintage and they certainly could have changed powders since then.

Andy
    Thanks again Andy

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    I have some newer IMI and haven't noticed any difference that I can tell from the older stuff.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron_B View Post
    I have some newer IMI and haven't noticed any difference that I can tell from the older stuff.
    Thanks for the feed back Aaron
    my IMI is 2020 vintage I like the ammo
    my cleaning regiment is pretty over the top
    next time I shoot the IMI I will post some pix of the firring pin and the BCG
    and we can compare the powder difference between the factory IMI and my hand loads
    Williepete
    Last edited by Williepete; 12-20-21 at 07:42.

Feedback Score
    In Israel reloading was a very hard thing to get the permits to do. Something about Arabs using gun powder to build bombs.

But I have unloaded a train load of IMI ammo.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have zero issues with imi brass. I have invested heavily in their mk262 rendition. It does well in 5 different AR type rifles. 14.5, 16, and 20" barrels all 1:7. I have been using the brass for reloads for years with success. My opinion of IMI brass is also based on my excellent experience with their 7.62 match brass. Good stuff.