Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Long Range Carbine Class...6933?

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)

Long Range Carbine Class...6933?

Hey folks,

I just registered for a Fieldcraft Survival Long Range Carbine class next month. Looks like shooting out to 600 yds. I've got a Unity FAST Aimpoint T2/3XC Magnifier combo, which they say will be enough.

My question is, will my 6933 with Dead Air Sandman be able to reach out to 600 yds? Or will I need a longer barreled carbine for this kind of class? I haven't shot past 100 yds with 5.56 since I was in the Marine Corps 15 years ago, so forgive my ignorance.

Would it be better to shoot suppressed or unsuppressed, especially with the lightweight barrel profile?

I could buy a 14.5 upper if need be, but I'd rather spend that money training on another class.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    That's asking a lot out of an 11.5 inch barrel and consistently hitting 600 yards I personally would use a 16 or 18 inch barrel.

My AR pistol is questionable past 300 yards but it's a PSA build.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    You can do it with a 6933 but your going to be lobbing rounds at the distant targets. You need to be intimately familiar with your holdover requirements at various ranges in order to have any success. It is work to shoot 400+ with a 14.5" barrel. I don't recommend it with the 6933. But, it will be a learning experience with either one.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    It is the task of our generation, yours and mine. But we build and defend not for our generation alone. We defend the foundations laid down by our fathers. We build a life for generations yet unborn.
    We defend and we build a way of life, not for America alone, but for all mankind. Ours is a high duty, a noble task.---Franklin Delano Roosevelt May 26th, 1940.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think you might be adding an unnecessary handicap that could detract from your learning experience. In the event that you do struggle at those distances, you might even detract from the learning experience of others in the class by monopolizing instructor time to get you where you need to be. If you are not already proficient with that rifle at those distances, a class is probably not the best place to do it.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I absolutely would not, especially here in CO. I did an LPVO class with a 1-6 Razor in VA a few years ago and think they had reduced silhouettes that became difficult to see at 400 on 6x. Granted there were objects like trees in the background that you had to differentiate the target from, but still, I wouldn’t have wanted less than 6x for that.

For barrel, I recently did some shooting (new army qual if you want to see the COF on YouTube) with a MK18 out to 300m. Granted this was with an unmagnified EXPS so I couldn’t see where my missed were going, but I struggled like crazy. I hit everything up to 150, had a few hits at 150, and missed everything beyond 200m. I shot it once (40 rounds) did terrible, messed around with strelok to approximate holds for the 855A1 I was shooting, and then burned about 20 rounds at the 300m target, only hitting once. It was super windy (Colorado plains windy) so I think I was fighting wind more than bullet drop, but I’m willing to bet the extra velocity out of a 14.5 would’ve helped the rounds fight the wind more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 12-18-21 at 13:53.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    With the help of a spotter I have successfully made hits to 440yds using a Aimpoint Comp M4 with SIG Juliet 4X magnifier [nice piece of kit]. My barrel is a Colt pencil cut to 14.7" P&W. I was using Federal 55gr 5.56 ammo.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    With the help of a spotter I have successfully made hits to 440yds using a Aimpoint Comp M4 with SIG Juliet 4X magnifier [nice piece of kit]. My barrel is a Colt pencil cut to 14.7" P&W. I was using Federal 55gr 5.56 ammo.
    What size target? That’s usually an important aspect that people omit.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    I look at it this way. You’re probably spending good, hard earned money on the class. You probably want to get the most of out it. Do you want to roll the dice with the 11.5 and risk having a miserable time cus you can’t hit anything? Or maybe reschedule the class till you get some different gear to allow you to get more out of the class. I think Wake27 gave some good advice.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I haven't attended a class from mike, but could you post more specifics about the syllabus?

I DO have a lot of experience shooting past 400 with all kinds of semi autos.

Dont take this the wrong way, but spending money for a class, driving distance, and ammunition cost would be completely waisted on that gun. Sign up for a class that actually suits that kind of carbine or get a proper gun for that class. It's like trying to use a spoon to eat a really nice steak. Sure you may still get some in your mouth but the experience would be more enjoyed with the proper tools.

For example; this week I was out shooting a 6" plate at 500 yards and a bowling pin shaped steel at 830. Optics almost matter more than the gun itself. Just putting a proper 1-8 on your 6933 would come a long way. It would still be a pain though.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I absolutely would not, especially here in CO. I did an LPVO class with a 1-6 Razor in VA a few years ago and think they had reduced silhouettes that became difficult to see at 400 on 6x. Granted there were objects like trees in the background that you had to differentiate the target from, but still, I wouldn’t have wanted less than 6x for that.

For barrel, I recently did some shooting (new army qual if you want to see the COF on YouTube) with a MK18 out to 300m. Granted this was with an unmagnified EXPS so I couldn’t see where my missed were going, but I struggled like crazy. I hit everything up to 150, had a few hits at 150, and missed everything beyond 200m. I shot it once (40 rounds) did terrible, messed around with strelok to approximate holds for the 855A1 I was shooting, and then burned about 20 rounds at the 300m target, only hitting once. It was super windy (Colorado plains windy) so I think I was fighting wind more than bullet drop, but I’m willing to bet the extra velocity out of a 14.5 would’ve helped the rounds fight the wind more.

I may take you up on this offer, I really appreciate it.

I do have a 6920 that I could throw a 15" MCMR on and an Atlas Bipod for about $250. I can't do much about the optics situation, my T2/3x Magnifier is gonna have to suffice.

Here's the class syllabus:

The Long-Range Carbine focuses on advanced marksmanship concepts utilizing a carbine out to 600 yards. Training will increase proficiency in employing carbines, optics, ballistics, and alternate shooting positions to maximize hit probability at extended ranges.

Training is designed for those with intermediate weapon handling abilities and experience.

We recommend wearing comfortable shoes and long pants.

Required Minimum Equipment:
    Carbine
    2 magazines
    Optic (variable power magnified scope is recommended or red dot optic with a 3X magnifier)
    Bipod
    Sling
    Rear support bag/s
    Eye protection
    Ear protection
    Notebook, pen, databook, or ballistic app (ex. Hornady 4 DOF, Ballistic ARC, BulletFlightM, StrelokPro)
    Tools for stocks, optics
    Water/Snacks
    Rain, cold, or inclement weather clothing

Required Ammunition:
    300 rounds minimum

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast