Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Long Range Carbine Class...6933?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    I've got a few racks of bolt guns in bigger calibers with nice glass, again, I haven't pushed 5.56 out past 100 yds as I've never needed to in 15 years. Thus...taking a class to learn more about it. But, that course is being written by my teammate, who is a sniper on our team. I'd have no business teaching it!

Anyways, I've decided to repurpose an upper. Looking at an MCMR rail and a new barrel. Trying to keep this short enough for duty use, so anywhere from 12.5 to 14.5, no longer as I run mostly suppressed. Looking at Noveske or Ballistic Advantage Hanson barrels.

I'll also be going with better glass, but only if my bolt gun sells in the EE first.

I was woefully unprepared for this one apparently!

As far as ammo, my agency is sponsoring me in this class with ammo, so it's free 55gr stuff. Nothing fancy.
    Primary Arms has BCM rails on sale and several Triarc barrels in stock. The 12.5 is on sale but the 13.9 and 14.5 are priced well with mil discount, I assume LEO discount too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Primary Arms has BCM rails on sale and several Triarc barrels in stock. The 12.5 is on sale but the 13.9 and 14.5 are priced well with mil discount, I assume LEO discount too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I really like the triarc barrels, but I don't have access to a dimple/pinning jig for gas blocks!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    55-grain ammo is going to be a challenge.

Good luck.

Feedback Score
    Some food for thought brought to you by Garand Thumb.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    Some food for thought brought to you by Garand Thumb.
    That was a great video, super informative for my exact situation.

So, here's where we sit.

I bought a 13" MCMR and a TA31RCO for my 6920 that just sits in the safe. My setup will be:
    Colt 6920 Upper, 13" MCMR and BCM Gas Block, Dead Air FH and maybe Sandman K
    Colt 6933 Lower, B5 Bravo, Moe+ Grip, Geissele SSAE Trigger
    Atlas CAL Bipod

I went with the ACOG because it's what I know. I have owned a few LPVO's, including a Vortex Razor 1-6 Gen II. I always end up selling them. Although I've previously owned a TA31 and TA11 and sold them too. Anyways, hopefully this makes this class a little more bearable. I appreciate all the advice so far, absolutely a learning experience.

Feedback Score
    I believe you will be much better served by that upper for the purposes of the class.

Now if you could just get some better ammo.

ETA: I do believe the 6920 is going to help enough that the 55gr will not be as big of a deal as if it would be in the shorter barrel. Best of luck, and enjoy the training.
    Last edited by utahjeepr; 12-21-21 at 10:20.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I really like the triarc barrels, but I don't have access to a dimple/pinning jig for gas blocks!
    Triarcs are dimpled the black river tactical micro pin gas block was easy to do at home

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I went with the ACOG because it's what I know. I have owned a few LPVO's, including a Vortex Razor 1-6 Gen II. I always end up selling them. Although I've previously owned a TA31 and TA11 and sold them too.
    From the standpoint of the ACOG, look into Weapon Outfitters, Kram spacers.
    https://www.weaponoutfitters.com/mac...s-spacer.html#

I sold my ACOG in 2014 to a friend because I didn't like the fact that it had such short eye relief and this not only helps with that but also raises it up to a 1.70 height which I love. After paying off a trip to the Keys I plan on doing a similar setup to what Ben from Wiseman did below.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcF80U1hR8A&t=205s
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    We had a dude in a Ridgeline/Reston SPR class a few years back that was 0-600y

He had a monolithic Colt 11.5" with an ACOG; he was a decent shooter but the problem was more the optic than the rifle (no idea what ammo he had)

He used Reston's Mk5Hd 3.6-18x44 on his optic for TD2 and had no troubles the rest of the class...he was easily in the top 3 shooters; the rifle was not an issue in the equation.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Good spotter is priority ONE! Good ammo, TWO. And a decent barrel/weapon Third.

I'd shoot the class with the 6933. But we're psychos and could work up a "come up" hold sheet. I damn sure wouldn't shoot 55 gr ammo however. Even VMAX or AMAX ammo would be a little hard to work with at 600 unless there was ZERO wind to deal with.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast