Thread: Federal LRS127-LRS Truball - versus - Federal LRS127 - DPRS, Seeking Test Results

Feedback Score

Federal LRS127-LRS Truball - versus - Federal LRS127 - DPRS, Seeking Test Results

Good Morning Gents, First, Hopefully I'm in the correct Forum here, as I couldn't decide between here & the Shotgun Forum ? Sooo, I'm aware of the penetration properties of the Federal LRS127 DPRS [ 1 oz. Copper plated, 'Truball' 2.75" Slug @ 1,350 FPS ] but I can't seem to locate any viable penetration testing of Federal's earlier version, LRS127 LRS, which although similar, it's constructed of an unplated Lead Slug, @ 1,300 FPS. I recently obtained a similar number of each loading, however now feel I probably should have just ordered all the Deep Penetrator version, so as to prevent the associated projectile breakup sometimes experienced with the unplated Lead types. Has anyone ever come across any comparison testing of the 2 distinct versions of these Federal Rifled Slugs ? As always, any & all input or comments will be very much appreciated. THANK YOU May I also wish a Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays to everyone here on the Forum !

Best, dpast32
    Last edited by dpast32; 12-29-21 at 07:34.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    If you're not using it on cars, or heavily boned predators/game, I would stick with non DPRS rounds. The DPRS just cut cookie-cutter holes in stuff.

Feedback Score
    THANKS 'WS6', I appreciate your input. Although we all know the relative ability of the standard 1 oz. RS to do it's job, I have heard of assorted projectile breakup issues with some particular brands. Federal however was not one of them. I suppose that even should the Slug exhibit fragmentation, the resulting pieces 'should' hopefully be of significant weight, thereby still performing their intended task. Either way, I hedged my bets & purchased an similar quantity of each type, therefore being ready for differing scenarios. THANKS AGAIN

Dom P. / 'dpast32'

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpast32 View Post
    THANKS 'WS6', I appreciate your input. Although we all know the relative ability of the standard 1 oz. RS to do it's job, I have heard of assorted projectile breakup issues with some particular brands. Federal however was not one of them. I suppose that even should the Slug exhibit fragmentation, the resulting pieces 'should' hopefully be of significant weight, thereby still performing their intended task. Either way, I hedged my bets & purchased an similar quantity of each type, therefore being ready for differing scenarios. THANKS AGAIN

Dom P. / 'dpast32'
    I like the low recoil hydrashok. Good compromise.