Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Theorizing A Build: Backcountry Woods Companion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Theorizing A Build: Backcountry Woods Companion

So I've got this build I've been designing in my head. It's a .223 caliber suppressed AR for backcountry travel that could (but wouldn't) be used to take down deer inside 100 yards. For the most part this is a "bushcraft"/self-defense gun - a marmot-getter (for evening meals) with camp protection abilities, and an AR I can do LARP RECCE shit with in the east Idaho mountains (being honest here).

None of the things I'll be talking about below is fixed, if someone presents better reasons for going with something else, I'm all ears. I've done some research but I'm posting this here because I'm not as knowledgeable as I sometimes think I am. I'm looking for opinions on parts, substitutes I don't know of (e.g. a better handrail for slightly more weight), and overall thoughts.

I'm looking at a direct thread 5.56 suppressor. I'm fairly deaf and I'm left handed. My biggest need with a suppressor is muzzle suppression which gauges how quiet it is for bystanders (as PEW Science puts it) and gas blowback. This is something I haven't looked into much (it seems there aren't many direct thread AR suppressors).

I'll shoot quality ammo through it and I'm thinking it'll be Federal Fusion MSR - 62gr soft point @ 2750 FPS or maybe handloads with Barnes 70 gr TSX ammo.

18" or 16" 1:7 twist Proof Research Carbon Fiber barrel (I'm thinking the 18" will give me more velocity which would be needed if I actually decided to hunt medium game with it).

Faxon Streamline Carbon Fiber 17" M-LOK Handguard, or it's 15" counterpart if I go with a 16" barrel

LMT FA 5.56 Carrier with Enhanced Bolt <-- This is something I'm not well versed in...

Centurion Arms CM4 Receiver set I was thinking about using a Colt lower and a Vltor MUR-1S upper (no forward assist) since it's an ounce lighter and more slick. However, I considered the "silent loading" aspect a co-worker told me about and decided to keep it (though I would use Forward Control Design's LDFA)

And of course a Geissele trigger - undecided on if I want an SSA-E or a National Match trigger

The assembly and small parts would be provided by Trajectory Arms

As far as accessories I'm pretty definite on using a Cloud Defensive REIN for a white light (I'd consider the OWL if I need more front end weight to balance the rifle). Scope is going to be a Vortex Razor HD Gen III 1-10x24 FFP on a Scalarworks LEAP scope mount

EDIT:

Took some pics from the road to show what terrain can be like

Last edited by Leadslinger585; 01-23-22 at 11:54.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    People on the Rokslide forum have found the 77gr TMK good for deer. You probably do not need to go longer than 16" for good performance.

The Faxon CF handguard doesn't have a top rail. If you mount a rail section on it will it be at standard height? Another lightweight option is MI-ULW15 which has a rail for a front BUIS.

I have read multiple reports of people having problems with the LMT enhanced bolts.

Keep the slick-side upper and use your thumb on the FCD SBCG?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    @Disciple

Thank you for the rokslide link! I've bookmarked it and will read it over during holiday.

Good point about the top rail (or lack of) on the Faxon handguard. I hadn't considered it because I hadn't planned to run BUIS or night vision accessories, just a light with MLOK mounts. I now realize I can't use the OWL light.

It does say

Co-witness iron sights and optics/lasers*

*Requires optional low-profile M-LOK rail adapters.
    Searching their site dosen't show any low profile MLOK adapters though.

I'll consider the FCD bolt control group + slick upper. What issues have you heard about re: LMT enhanced bolt? And from who/where?

Thanks for the reply!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadslinger585 View Post
    What issues have you heard about re: LMT enhanced bolt? And from who/where?
    I specifically meant on this forum. If I mean somewhere else I will link it. Nevertheless I should try to back up that statement. I did not find as much as I remembered, but here are some.

https://www.m4carbine.net/archive/in.../t-141004.html

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    The extractor of the LMT E-Bolt uses two extractor springs. The two springs are smaller in diameter and longer in length than the standard extractor spring. All too often, the LMT springs are under powered, leading to extraction issues that cause bolt overs. To fix the extraction issues with the LMT E-Bolt I have, I had to make new extractor springs from a take down pin retainer spring. If you do make new springs, don't simply cut them to the same length as the originals. Count the coils and compare the lengths. Add a couple of coils if needed to make the replacement springs just a little bit longer. Not too many extra coils or the springs will bind up.
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    I have had failures to extract on two enhanced bolts. It was fixed replacing the extractor and the springs.

The first one was at maybe 5000 rounds, that gun saw a lot of steel case ammo and training classes.

The other was a brand new enhanced bcg in a new centurion barrel. It had consistent failures to extract (case still in the chamber) I replaced the springs and extractor and it has worked since.

The extra extractor and springs is absolutely something you need with one of these bolts. I suggest keeping it in the guns grip or something. They are expensive which adds insult to injury.

Neither removed extractors, including the 5000 round one showed much ware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    I run standard bolts in all my E-Carriers, with exception of the latest one I scored. I know several others who do the same thing. No issues at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Yeah... Aside from it being pretty commonly reported on the forums that the E bolt cause more problems than it fixes...

We took Pappabears Mk 18 clone out two or three weeks back. Malf Malf Malf..... you can feel that shitty ****ing bolt sticking in the Barrel extension with WAY TOO MUCH tension. I had him drop my BCM bcg in the gun and it was off to the races.
    But then later Pappabear likes the Enhanced BCG.

Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    For those of you that enjoy the elegant Enhanced BCG from LMT, they just had a sale on them from their site. They sold them for $204 to my door.

Anywho, I noticed the finish on the Bolt was different. In the past they were a chromed bolt that was very shiny. The new bolt is a more of a NP3 finish. Matt finish in color. It may just be a color thang??

I wonder if anyone knows if they changed anything significant.

I tossed it in my 14.5 Enhanced lightweight BCM upper with AAC mini. Ran like a champ.

PB

Feedback Score
    For the backcountry use you describe, and the shorter ranges you mention, I'd go with a 16" max. Running a can in the woods I'd likely go 12.5" to 14.5".

Running a quick release can could save some abuse, but if you are set on direct thread almost any can out there has 1/2"×28 direct thread available.

Your proposed ammo, or the 77 TMK, as well as others can perform well on medium sized game. As well as "camp protection" against two or four legged threats. Although for your evening rock chuck, they are overkill. You might want to consider some type of lighter game load.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    I specifically meant on this forum. If I mean somewhere else I will link it. Nevertheless I should try to back up that statement. I did not find as much as I remembered, but here are some.

https://www.m4carbine.net/archive/in.../t-141004.html
    Thanks for the link Disciple!

Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    For the backcountry use you describe, and the shorter ranges you mention, I'd go with a 16" max. Running a can in the woods I'd likely go 12.5" to 14.5".

Running a quick release can could save some abuse, but if you are set on direct thread almost any can out there has 1/2"×28 direct thread available.

Your proposed ammo, or the 77 TMK, as well as others can perform well on medium sized game. As well as "camp protection" against two or four legged threats. Although for your evening rock chuck, they are overkill. You might want to consider some type of lighter game load.
    UtahJeepr,

I would shoot longer ranges (at small game and recreational), I was just saying I wouldn't shoot a deer past 100 yards.

Is a Surefire SOCOM556 RC2 capable of being direct threaded? That's the suppressor I was thinking of going with if I couldn't find a DT I liked.

As for ammo, I was thinking of doing some testing along the lines of Patrick Smith's "Hand-loading For All-purpose Use of Big Game Rifles" article (link)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    But then later Pappabear likes the Enhanced BCG.
    Yeah... none of any of our BCGs gives us any problems. I do remember certain production runs of LMT carriers (years back) that had VERY abrasive finishes. Pappabear may have NP3'd some of those. But everything we run is well broken in and running fine.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Sounds like a solid build 18" to me doesn't gain enough performance to choose it over 16". 12.5" midlength is very surprising in velocity less an 100fps slower than my 16". Having used 223 on deer, I wasn't impressed with the 70gr tsx(nor the 110gr black tip in 300blkout) I'd choose gold dots over them any day.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    The Surefire is dedicated to their muzzle devices, no direct thread option. The lock up on them is very positive. Their breaks and flash suppressors are also effective when not used with the can. Other than weight, there's really no down side over direct thread should you choose that can. Not my personal choice, but certainly a very good option.

Plenty of great bullets and loads to choose from for smaller game, just wanted to make sure you were thinking about it. The 53gr Vmax and 52gr Sierra BTHP are great performers, but as I said lots of options.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You should look at what MSTN is doing with TDS suppressors and proof barrels. I have the Bantam on a Proof barrel and it is an awesome combo. Its a 6oz direct thread suppressor that is amazing for its size.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast