Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Theorizing A Build: Backcountry Woods Companion

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    But then later Pappabear likes the Enhanced BCG.
    Yeah... none of any of our BCGs gives us any problems. I do remember certain production runs of LMT carriers (years back) that had VERY abrasive finishes. Pappabear may have NP3'd some of those. But everything we run is well broken in and running fine.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would be going 300BLK with the given information being the decision maker.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadslinger585 View Post
    and an AR I can do LARP RECCE shit with in the east Idaho mountains (being honest here).
    I infer that he wants medium range capability but If I am mistaken .300 HAM'R is worth consideration too.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    The concept you're describing is exactly the notion for which I built this rifle. I've gone through many, many iterations of barrel length and optic combinations to arrive at this. It is not inexpensive, but it is the best I've found for my purposes: Deer hunting and other larp-ish camping outdoor activities as well as HD if needed along with critter extermination in the Appalachian Foothills. I have taken several deer successfully with the 62gr Speer Gold Dot load I use (similar to the MSR load you mentioned). At 100yds this setup shoots MOA or better. Based on velocity expansion thresholds, it's a 200yd gun. I could press it further for hits if need be, but 200yds is difficult to find around here even with open powerline or gas line cuts. 10.3 with a suppressor is also a heckuvalot lighter and handier to carry than 14.5 or 16 plus a can.

Components list:
    Upper:
    BCM M4 receiver
    Colt factory 10.3" barrel (.070 port)
    Colt M4 BCG
    BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 CH
    Geissele MK4 9.5 MLOK handguard
    Surefire M600DF light on an Arisaka Inline MLOK mount
    AAC 51T FH
    AAC M4-2000 (This could be substituted for something lighter and direct-thread, but it's what I have)
    Reptilia AUS mount with RMR Ring
    Nightforce NX8, Capped MIL version
    Trijicon RM06 Gen 2 RMR

Lower:
    Factory DD MK18 SBR
    BCM Grip
    Magpul CTR stock w/pad
    Magpul trigger guard
    Geissele SD-E trigger
    Geissele Maritime Catch
    Factory DD "H" buffer with tungsten weights swapped in to make it H3
    Colt Carbine Action Spring
    FCD Mag Button (given to me by Will Larson at my last class with him. I think it was when Roger was just rolling them out).

Last edited by ASH556; 12-20-21 at 12:56.
    Semper Paratus Certified AR15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    I’ve taken several deer with the 72 grain barns bullets. Took a nice buck at two hundred yards with one last year. With 5.56/223 it’s all about shot placement.

I’d go 16 for velocity with perhaps a smaller can. Depending on your eyes you can go with a dot as well. My knock around woods gun is a 16 BCM middy with an AP Pro. I’ve taken game to 250 yards. (Nothing larger than whitetail) But again your eyes will dictate optic needs. Lately I’ve been thinking about a Vortex 1-8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm a little surprised about the recommendations for SBR/Pistol builds.

My first thought was maybe because the mountains in the area are densely wooded and long distances aren't really possible. Am I wrong?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    I infer that he wants medium range capability but If I am mistaken .300 HAM'R is worth consideration too.
    I hadn't considered 300 blackout or 300 HAMR because it's too hard to get locally (I've never seen 300 HAMR in stores). To be honest, even 5.56/223 is tough to get. I saw 7.62x51 in stock before I saw 5.56 ammo. I am curious about 6 ARC but again, hard to source.

Why are you recommending those particular calibers?

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    The concept you're describing is exactly the notion for which I built this rifle. I've gone through many, many iterations of barrel length and optic combinations to arrive at this. It is not inexpensive, but it is the best I've found for my purposes: Deer hunting and other larp-ish camping outdoor activities as well as HD if needed along with critter extermination in the Appalachian Foothills. I have taken several deer successfully with the 62gr Speer Gold Dot load I use (similar to the MSR load you mentioned). At 100yds this setup shoots MOA or better. Based on velocity expansion thresholds, it's a 200yd gun. I could press it further for hits if need be, but 200yds is difficult to find around here even with open powerline or gas line cuts. 10.3 with a suppressor is also a heckuvalot lighter and handier to carry than 14.5 or 16 plus a can.

Components list:
    Upper:
    BCM M4 receiver
    Colt factory 10.3" barrel (.070 port)
    Colt M4 BCG
    BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 CH
    Geissele MK4 9.5 MLOK handguard
    Surefire M600DF light on an Arisaka Inline MLOK mount
    AAC 51T FH
    AAC M4-2000 (This could be substituted for something lighter and direct-thread, but it's what I have)
    Reptilia AUS mount with RMR Ring
    Nightforce NX8, Capped MIL version
    Trijicon RM06 Gen 2 RMR

Lower:
    Factory DD MK18 SBR
    BCM Grip
    Magpul CTR stock w/pad
    Magpul trigger guard
    Geissele SD-E trigger
    Geissele Maritime Catch
    Factory DD "H" buffer with tungsten weights swapped in to make it H3
    Colt Carbine Action Spring
    FCD Mag Button (given to me by Will Larson at my last class with him. I think it was when Roger was just rolling them out).

https://i.imgur.com/ub0SIBw.jpg
    Here in the southern part of Idaho there a lot of open stretches of land between mountains, so longer shots are quite likely. Knowing that, does it change your thoughts on barrel length?

What were your thoughts on the Surefire M600? The reason I went with the Cloud Defense was for it's throw, I wanted it to punch out more to identify what's "out there". As an aside - do humans' eyes light up like critter eyes at night or is that exclusive to the animal realm?

Also, you went with a dot and a scope. Am I foolish for not going the same route? I've run a LPVO at rifle casses (once with a CQBSS and the 2ne class with a Burris MTAC) and did not feel hindered (though I did shoot both classes at 1x the whole time).

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Why are you recommending those particular calibers?

Here in the southern part of Idaho there a lot of open stretches of land between mountains, so longer shots are quite likely.
    The 300 HAM'R is a short range cartridge; I did not recommending it for your needs as I understood them which may include longer shots as you just confirmed. If one were looking for a short range option the .300 HAM'R performs great on hogs and more as shown, being quite a bit more powerful than the 300 BLK. It is also easy to form from 5.56 brass if you reload.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm a little surprised about the recommendations for SBR/Pistol builds.

My first thought was maybe because the mountains in the area are densely wooded and long distances aren't really possible. Am I wrong?
    Lots of open space where I live and I still prefer a shorty (suppressed). It's handier when hiking or dunking around in the Jeep and easily reaches three hundred yards even with 55 gr. Fun for shooting prairie dogs and jackrabbits.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    I killed a coyote last month at 300yds with a 10.5 and 55gr (that's what was handy).

I wouldn't recommend a 10.5 to the OP, but 12.5 to 14.5 will definitely do the trick. 16 is the longest I'd want to run in brush/trees with a can.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast