Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Theorizing A Build: Backcountry Woods Companion

Feedback Score
    For myself the perfect backwoods AR is the WWSD. I was still feeling some of the aftereffects of covid at the start of the season so I didn't know how much endurance I would have hiking in the woods. So I went with the lightest rifle I had which was my WWSD with the 14.5" barrel. It made for easy carry including one handed holding while climbing over logs. I used the aforementioned Federal MSR Fusion soft point which went completely through a whitetail doe at 200 yards. Blew out the upper 1/3 of her heart and she didn't go more than 30 yards before dropping. Same as any deer heart shot with a larger caliber. I was a little disappointed with the size of the exit hole as it was barely noticeable. I think a longer barrel with more velocity would have made a larger exit wound with a better blood trail for tracking if she'd gone into some brush. Fortunately I shot her in the middle of a large clear cut where she was feeding. I'm going to make a 20" WWSD version upper just for hunting to make for better velocity at longer ranges.
    Last edited by larryp; 01-01-22 at 12:04. Reason: Typo
    Paranoia is more than a personality trait, it's a survival skill.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Forgive my ignorance, but what is a WWSD?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BangBang77 View Post
    Woodswalker/self defense?
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by seb5 View Post
    Woodswalker/self defense?
    I'm assuming the Brownells WWSD 2020 Rifle

https://www.brownells.com/guntech/ww....htm?lid=17958
    Last edited by Buckaroo; 01-01-22 at 15:06.
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BangBang77 View Post
    The What Would Stoner Do? rifle concept that InRange TV came up with. Now sold by Brownells.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqf6RXPyD4A
    Last edited by larryp; 01-01-22 at 20:19.
    Paranoia is more than a personality trait, it's a survival skill.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadslinger585 View Post
    So I've got this build I've been designing in my head. It's a .223 caliber suppressed AR for backcountry travel that could (but wouldn't) be used to take down deer inside 100 yards. For the most part this is a "bushcraft"/self-defense gun - a marmot-getter (for evening meals) with camp protection abilities, and an AR I can do LARP RECCE shit with in the east Idaho mountains (being honest here).

None of the things I'll be talking about below is fixed, if someone presents better reasons for going with something else, I'm all ears. I've done some research but I'm posting this here because I'm not as knowledgeable as I sometimes think I am. I'm looking for opinions on parts, substitutes I don't know of (e.g. a better handrail for slightly more weight), and overall thoughts.

I'm looking at a direct thread 5.56 suppressor. I'm fairly deaf and I'm left handed. My biggest need with a suppressor is muzzle suppression which gauges how quiet it is for bystanders (as PEW Science puts it) and gas blowback. This is something I haven't looked into much (it seems there aren't many direct thread AR suppressors).

I'll shoot quality ammo through it and I'm thinking it'll be Federal Fusion MSR - 62gr soft point @ 2750 FPS or maybe handloads with Barnes 70 gr TSX ammo.

18" or 16" 1:7 twist Proof Research Carbon Fiber barrel (I'm thinking the 18" will give me more velocity which would be needed if I actually decided to hunt medium game with it).

Faxon Streamline Carbon Fiber 17" M-LOK Handguard, or it's 15" counterpart if I go with a 16" barrel

LMT FA 5.56 Carrier with Enhanced Bolt <-- This is something I'm not well versed in...

Centurion Arms CM4 Receiver set I was thinking about using a Colt lower and a Vltor MUR-1S upper (no forward assist) since it's an ounce lighter and more slick. However, I considered the "silent loading" aspect a co-worker told me about and decided to keep it (though I would use Forward Control Design's LDFA)

And of course a Geissele trigger - undecided on if I want an SSA-E or a National Match trigger

The assembly and small parts would be provided by Trajectory Arms

As far as accessories I'm pretty definite on using a Cloud Defensive REIN for a white light (I'd consider the OWL if I need more front end weight to balance the rifle). Scope is going to be a Vortex Razor HD Gen III 1-10x24 FFP on a Scalarworks LEAP scope mount
    not to throw a wrench in here but have you thought about 7.62x39 for this? I'd even do it in sidecharger as you 'slip in' the round should you come across a deer and you are using a better caliber for them. Just a thought

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    The concept you're describing is exactly the notion for which I built this rifle. I've gone through many, many iterations of barrel length and optic combinations to arrive at this. It is not inexpensive, but it is the best I've found for my purposes: Deer hunting and other larp-ish camping outdoor activities as well as HD if needed along with critter extermination in the Appalachian Foothills. I have taken several deer successfully with the 62gr Speer Gold Dot load I use (similar to the MSR load you mentioned). At 100yds this setup shoots MOA or better. Based on velocity expansion thresholds, it's a 200yd gun. I could press it further for hits if need be, but 200yds is difficult to find around here even with open powerline or gas line cuts. 10.3 with a suppressor is also a heckuvalot lighter and handier to carry than 14.5 or 16 plus a can.

Components list:
    Upper:
    BCM M4 receiver
    Colt factory 10.3" barrel (.070 port)
    Colt M4 BCG
    BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 CH
    Geissele MK4 9.5 MLOK handguard
    Surefire M600DF light on an Arisaka Inline MLOK mount
    AAC 51T FH
    AAC M4-2000 (This could be substituted for something lighter and direct-thread, but it's what I have)
    Reptilia AUS mount with RMR Ring
    Nightforce NX8, Capped MIL version
    Trijicon RM06 Gen 2 RMR

Lower:
    Factory DD MK18 SBR
    BCM Grip
    Magpul CTR stock w/pad
    Magpul trigger guard
    Geissele SD-E trigger
    Geissele Maritime Catch
    Factory DD "H" buffer with tungsten weights swapped in to make it H3
    Colt Carbine Action Spring
    FCD Mag Button (given to me by Will Larson at my last class with him. I think it was when Roger was just rolling them out).

VERY much like that setup. Thinking of doing something similar with a 14.5/pin & weld (I don't own an SBR...yet). I have that optic (currently in a NF Unimount) in the non-MIL version.

From your pic, I can't see a spacer so assume that the RMR sits high enough on the Reptillia ROF-90? Do you have a pretty clean sight picture over the top of the elevation turret?

Thanks!

-Rainman

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Took some pics from the road to show what terrain can be like

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123