Thread: Seeking opinions of Fabrique Nationale FNP9

Feedback Score

Seeking opinions of Fabrique Nationale FNP9

Am considering buying an FNP9, either the DA/SA model with decocker or the USG model with combination manual safety/decocker.

Intended purposes would be secondarily carry and home defense, but primarily providing new shooters (particularly females) with their first centerfire self-loading DA/SA handgun experience.

Already have various 1911s, striker-fired pistols, and revolvers to provide them with training experience in those types.

Anyone here have any info on FNP9's durability, reliability, ergonomics, idiosyncracies, etc?
    Last edited by oldtexan; 12-14-08 at 16:34.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I don't have a lot of trigger time with them, but a buddy has the full size and compact.

My thoughts......

They are ergonomic, and very soft shooting 9mm's.

I would definitely go with one that allowed Condition 1 carry, the USG.

You won't find many accessories such as holsters out there yet.

Decent gun.

You might also look at the S&W M&P, and the Glock 19 as well.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If I had to do it over again, I'd go with the USG. Mine came with the shooters pack so a blade tech holster, mag holder, and training barrel were all bundled with it. I really like the fact that it comes with 3 mags.

It shoots very soft and the trigger takes a bit of getting used to if you haven't shot many SA/DA triggers. Overall, I'm glad I bought it and it was priced pretty good at the time. I did not like the .45 cal variant though, it was too big for me, I have tiny hands.

I A/B'd them with M&P 9s, Glocks, and XDs before I purchased. The FNP fit my hands and I liked the ergonomics the best out of the lot.
    Last edited by spamsammich; 12-14-08 at 16:46.

Feedback Score
    I have a Browning Pro-9, basically an FNP-9 that can be carried cocked and locked. It's a good shooter despite what seems to be an absurdly thin barrel. The lack of aftermarket accessories can be a killer.

I won't be getting rid of it anytime soon.
    They had no right to win. Yet they did, and in doing so they changed the course of a war...even against the greatest of odds, there is something in the human spirit - a magic blend of skill, faith and valor - that can lift men from certain defeat to incredible victory.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    DPORT is on the money here....

From everything I've seen in my time on the trigger of them and from handling them, they appear to be pretty darn good guns. I could kick my own butt for not buying one when a local gunstore sold them for $385. The DA trigger on the models I've handled has been pretty good (much better than I expected for a polymer handgun) and the accuracy has been pretty good too.

I think they are underrated handguns, personally. Forgive me if I sound like Vince from those awful ShamWow! commercials, but FN makes some pretty good stuff.

IF you want a DA/SA gun and IF you don't want/can't afford a P30, I'd say the FNP's are definitely worth a serious look. I almost bought a .40 at the gunshow this weekend....but I didn't want to feed another caliber. It was a nice little pistol, though...

The problem is the aftermarket for them is very limited compared to the Glock and the M&P. Some people really struggle with DA/SA guns and would thus be better served with a consistent trigger pull from shot to shot. If none of that bothers you, go for it.
    Last edited by John_Wayne777; 12-14-08 at 18:13.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    DPORT is on the money here....
    Well hell, it was bound to happen...eventually.
    I think they are underrated handguns, personally. Forgive me if I sound like Vince from those awful ShamWow! commercials, but FN makes some pretty good stuff.
    [/QUOTE]

As I look into my gun safe, I notice more and more Browning/FN products. (FiveseveN IOM, FN Highpower, Browning Pro-9, Browning Buckmark, PS90) S&W only has a small foothold with an M&P 9mm and a S&W 1911. Glock has gone from 4 guns to one!
    They had no right to win. Yet they did, and in doing so they changed the course of a war...even against the greatest of odds, there is something in the human spirit - a magic blend of skill, faith and valor - that can lift men from certain defeat to incredible victory.