Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend a pistol for my first RDS

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Recommend a pistol for my first RDS

Team, I think an RDS equipped handgun is missing from my collection. Right now I don’t have an optic ready gun, and I figure I might as well just buy a dedicated platform rather than get an existing slide milled. Probably going to start with a Holosun optic. Other than wanting 9mm, I’m not too picky about platform, but figure a full size gun is the way to go. I had looked at CZs, since I like the CZ-75 and it’s derivatives, but it seems like there is some complexity in figuring out a mount, even for the optic ready models. I have also heard the Glock MOS guns have drawbacks vice just getting a regular Glock slide milled. I don’t mind having to send a slide for milling, but I do want a gun that is functional without a dot installed.

Primary purpose will be range work as I evaluate if I want to transition to RDS on my carry guns, with the high likelihood it will get used in formal training, so I do need something that will work with a duty holster.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Glock MOS with a C&H plate and done.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Glock MOS with a Forward Controls Design plate and done.
    Fixed it for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Another good choice would the Walther PDP.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TBAR_94 View Post

Primary purpose will be range work as I evaluate if I want to transition to RDS on my carry guns,
    You want to get an optic-capable version of a gun you currently most familiar with. Running the dot largely relies on kinesthetic index so if your current gun points differently from what you're going to run with the dot, you're not setting yourself up for success. There will be enough early challenge learning the dot, you don't want to add another challenge of learning a new gun simultaneously.

Plate vs direct mill is a long-standing debate that lacks systematic analysis. My personal experience is that it doesn't matter much. Some people believe that plates offer some advantages, others don't. Plate vs milling shouldn't be a fixation point, at least early on.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    You want to get an optic-capable version of a gun you currently most familiar with. Running the dot largely relies on kinesthetic index so if your current gun points differently from what you're going to run with the dot, you're not setting yourself up for success. There will be enough early challenge learning the dot, you don't want to add another challenge of learning a new gun simultaneously.

Plate vs direct mill is a long-standing debate that lacks systematic analysis. My personal experience is that it doesn't matter much. Some people believe that plates offer some advantages, others don't. Plate vs milling shouldn't be a fixation point, at least early on.
    Excellent summation and advice.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post

Well said, IMO.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have many guns with RDS, but if I were just buying my first one, VP9 OR or VP9 Long slide OR ( OR = optics ready). Make sure you can get the optic plate first, they were scarce for a while.

I'm not a Glock guy, but you cant go wrong with a Glock if you like Glocks. If you like Sigs, the Sig P320 with their dot works pretty darn good. Lotta good options.

Holosun is a good idea.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    If you like glocks, you may want to consider shadow system's

Soli Deo Gloria

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for the advice--I'm pretty impatient when it comes to pistols...less time on the work bench, more time on the range. So it sounds like the easy button is just to grab a Glock MOS--aftermarket support seems best for Glock when it comes to suppressor height sights and other things like that, and I shoot Glocks enough I'm pretty comfortable with the platform. I've got a few other projects going on, so it might be awhile before I get this all together, but I do like to have a plan for my gun purchases otherwise I end up with a lot of stuff in the safe that's cool that I don't shoot much.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast