Thread: MilSurp Bolt Guns - is a Field Gauge Sufficient

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

MilSurp Bolt Guns - is a Field Gauge Sufficient

I know the headspace on a new or re-barreled rifle should allow the bolt to close on a "Go" gauge and not close on a "NoGo" but I am not building rifles or installing barrels.

Is a Clymer "Field" gauge sufficient to determine safe headspace on a milsurp rifle, particularly a 1903 Springfield rifle?

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 12-24-21 at 07:17.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I know the headspace on a new or re-barreled rifle should allow the bolt to close on a "Go" gauge and not close on a "NoGo" but I am not building rifles or installing barrels.

Is a Clymer "Field" gauge sufficient to determine safe headspace on a milsurp rifle, particularly a 1903 Springfield rifle?

Andy
    Still looking for info Andy but I did find this: https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=62741
    https://www.bing.com/search?q=Is+a+C...B01&PC=EDGEDSE

Feedback Score
    A FIELD SERVICE gage is .004" over a NO GO. I personally like my rifles to just barely close on a GO Gage so brass life can be enhanced.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Humpy70 View Post
    A FIELD SERVICE gage is .004" over a NO GO. I personally like my rifles to just barely close on a GO Gage so brass life can be enhanced.
    I understand, but I am trying to determine if a 1903 is safe with a replacement bolt.

Andy

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I understand, but I am trying to determine if a 1903 is safe with a replacement bolt.

Andy
    I had a 1903 Springfield that I picked up that had below minimum headspace, the bolt would not close on a Go Gauge. The bolt would close with some ammunition and would not close with other ammunition. I did not fire the rifle until I reamed the chamber to proper headspace.

If the bolt won't close on a Go Gauge, you could have issues with overpressure. At a minimum, I would have a Go Gauge and Field Gauge on hand.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I had a 1903 Springfield that I picked up that had below minimum headspace, the bolt would not close on a Go Gauge. The bolt would close with some ammunition and would not close with other ammunition. I did not fire the rifle until I reamed the chamber to proper headspace.

If the bolt won't close on a Go Gauge, you could have issues with overpressure. At a minimum, I would have a Go Gauge and Field Gauge on hand.
    Thsnks for that. I was seriously thinking I would just check to see if it would close on a couple of rounds - obviously not enough.

Heck, if I get a Go and a Field, may as well get a set with a No Go and remove all doubt.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It may not make any difference, but an old school gunsmith told me not to mix headspace gauge brands. If you already own a Clymer Field gauge, I suggest purchasing Clymer gauges to complete your set.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    FWIW a Field gauge is all I use on my milsurp buying … your mileage may vary. By the way, there are other methods you can use to get a more accurate picture of your chamber.
    Given that 10-shots are a group and 5-shots may be a favorable trend ... know that just one good 3-shot group can make you an instant internet superstar!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty223 View Post
    FWIW a Field gauge is all I use on my milsurp buying … your mileage may vary. By the way, there are other methods you can use to get a more accurate picture of your chamber.
    Please expound on the other methods.

Andy

Feedback Score
    It kind of depends on how much you plan to use your brass. CIP if you are using commercial 30.06 cases you are not likely to get over six reloads before the primer pocket gets enlarged and gas will get past the primer and start cutting a ring on your bolt face.

If you use milspec 30.06 match cases your case life will go out the roof if you set your dies to only bump the should be .001" too .002".

Setting your dies to do this is tricky. I use a MO Gage for setting my dies. They can be had from Mos Competitor Supply. 203-775-1013

Brass will last much longer with min movement when fired and min movement when resized.

Milspec cases have much harder case heads and they will take far more reloads and commercial.

For instance if you take a new unfired case and put it in a MO Gage you will get a reading. Load and fire the case and put it back in MO Gage and you will know exactly how far forward the case shoulder moves. Lets say you case shoulder moved forward .006" on firing. Using the MO Gage set the FL size die to only bump the shoulder back .001 to .002" and your case life should increase dramatically.
    Last edited by Humpy70; 01-19-22 at 07:06.