Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 308 small rifle primer brass

Feedback Score

308 small rifle primer brass

I’ve been reloading 223 only for the last 12 years and never once stepped outside that caliber until now.
    I’ve been reloading about the last 3 years strictly for xtc matches and my powders have narrowed down to TAC, R15, and SWMR.
    I bought 100 pieces of small primer pocket Peterson 308 brass because I have plenty sr primers. 41, 400, 450, and ARmatch.
    So for anyone experienced with this, of those choices, what would be a good starting point as for as powder and primer combo.
    This will mainly be for hunting. Projectiles will be 150gr Barnes TSX and and Hornady 150gr interlock.
    I’ve decided to go the components first, optics second, and rifle last route so I don’t wind up short on reloading components or a cheap optic.
    Rifle will definitely be a bolt gun, but I’m still not sure what make.

Feedback Score
    What’s the rifle to be used for? Hunting?

On .308, I’d certainly be using a magnum primer—I’d likely start with 450s.

I’ve used both TAC and RL15. I found both to be acceptable in accuracy and velocity, though both a bit temperature sensitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mRad View Post
    What’s the rifle to be used for? Hunting?

On .308, I’d certainly be using a magnum primer—I’d likely start with 450s.

I’ve used both TAC and RL15. I found both to be acceptable in accuracy and velocity, though both a bit temperature sensitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mainly hunting and maybe a midrange match here and there. We(brother, myself, our sons, and our dad) are planning a guided antelope hunt in 2023 and I just want a nice kit to take with me. I will also be getting on a local hunting lease this spring.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    For hunting, Mag primers are probably not a bad idea for reliable ignition. I've messed with the Lapua Palma brass, and had poor results with my favorite mild primer. I ended up using Win Small Rifle (standard) primers with decent results.... BUT the equivalent charge of Varget netted me like 40-50 fps LESS velocity. So I side lined that brass for now.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DixieGuns View Post
    Mainly hunting and maybe a midrange match here and there. We(brother, myself, our sons, and our dad) are planning a guided antelope hunt in 2023 and I just want a nice kit to take with me. I will also be getting on a local hunting lease this spring.
    I'd start with the 450's and likely switch primers only after exhausting my bullet/powder combos without getting the results I wanted. I've settled on loads in the past then switched primers to measure the difference and rarely have I found results worth the bother.

TAC and RL 15 are great for .308. My personal favorite is Varget, 8208 XBR, 4895 and Big Game work well, too. 150 TSX and Interlock will be fine for deer and antelope, if you ever go after elk consider bumping up to the 165 grain class if you can get enough velocity for reliable expansion.

I've been very impressed with the Ruger American as far as inexpensive bolt actions go. I know a lot of guys who like Tikka as well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DixieGuns View Post
    Rifle will definitely be a bolt gun, but I’m still not sure what make.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    I've been very impressed with the Ruger American as far as inexpensive bolt actions go. I know a lot of guys who like Tikka as well.

I like my Savage, but if I had it to do over again, I'd buy a Ruger American with one of Magpul's stocks (and AICS mag compatibility), or I'd step up to a Bergara (which I still might do, someday).

Proprietary mags are a horrible idea (and Savage's, especially, suck).

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Proprietary mags are a horrible idea (and Savage's, especially, suck).
    The "savage shuffle". I laugh every time I see a savage owner fighting to feed a live round. It NEVER gets old.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The "savage shuffle". I laugh every time I see a savage owner fighting to feed a live round. It NEVER gets old.
    Yeah, I love that my FCP-SR was inexpensive (barely $500 out the door) and that it's more accurate than I am (<3" groups at 300yds, with factory ammo).

I don't like that it's basically a single-shot...

I'm seriously considering nearly doubling my investment in the gun and buying a Magpul stock for it, when they come out next year. Just changing out the bottom metal wouldn't be much less expensive.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Well in fairness, my rem 700 308 is a single shot because I'm too cheap and lazy to put bottom metal on it, and it won't feed the last round.

Savage barrels are almost always laser accurate, but their feeding is bad.

Feedback Score
    You could use this as a general guide.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast