Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 308 small rifle primer brass

Feedback Score
    I will say use caution with using standard data with copper solids of the same grain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    I like my Savage, but if I had it to do over again, I'd buy a Ruger American with one of Magpul's stocks (and AICS mag compatibility), or I'd step up to a Bergara (which I still might do, someday).

Proprietary mags are a horrible idea (and Savage's, especially, suck).
    A Bergara is definitely on my radar. My brother has one with an NXS on it and I really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by KUSA View Post
    You could use this as a general guide.
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    For the Barnes:

https://www.barnesbullets.com/wp-con...sterForWeb.pdf

Also Tikka makes some damn fine rifles that run smoother than Salvage or Boogera.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mRad View Post
    Also Tikka makes some damn fine rifles that run smoother than Salvage or Boogera.
    Their only downside is proprietary mags no? We've looked at those guns before, but it's chaos already with the mag and suppressor bag we haul out each week as it is.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score

308 small rifle primer brass

It’s interesting that the Barnes loads recommend a much higher charge than Sierra. At least on grooved bullets.
    Last edited by KUSA; 12-29-21 at 07:49.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KUSA View Post
    It’s interesting that the Barnes loads recommend a much higher charge than Sierra.
    Compare their copper load vs lead load. You can’t substitute them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Their only downside is proprietary mags no? We've looked at those guns before, but it's chaos already with the mag and suppressor bag we haul out each week as it is.
    Eh not really a downside per se. Savage has its own mags too, depending on model. AI mags are slowly becoming standard. I believe the Tikka CTR mags are the same as a TRG, and the hunting rifles are little polymer jobs that work great. If a guy wants AI mags, lots of conversions out there by buying new bottom metal. If you’re building up a complete gun, the replacement chassis systems all use AI mags.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DixieGuns View Post
    I’ve been reloading 223 only for the last 12 years and never once stepped outside that caliber until now.
    I bought 100 pieces of small primer pocket Peterson 308 brass because I have plenty sr primers. 41, 400, 450, and ARmatch.
    So for anyone experienced with this, of those choices, what would be a good starting point as for as powder and primer combo.
    This will mainly be for hunting. Projectiles will be 150gr Barnes TSX and and Hornady 150gr interlock.
    I’ve decided to go the components first, optics second, and rifle last route so I don’t wind up short on reloading components or a cheap optic.
    Rifle will definitely be a bolt gun, but I’m still not sure what make.
    It's not really the question you asked, but I think that you're letting the tail wag the dog. Buying small rifle primer 308Win brass may cost you performance and money in the long run. A SR magnum primer just isn't going to do when a LR magnum primer is called for. If I was in your shoes wanting to buy a 308Win rifle for hunting, I'd buy factory loaded 147gr or 150gr FMJ 308Win or 7.62x51 to start off with. It's unlikely that you'd be able to load 308Win for less given that you're having to buy the brass. Use this factory loaded ammunition to sight in the rifle. You'll end up with brass that's been fireformed to your chamber. Then resize this once fired brass using full length sizing dies to bump the shoulder back 0.003" to 0.004". This will give you great feed reliability while keeping the brass as tight in the chamber as you'd want for hunting.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    A SR magnum primer just isn't going to do when a LR magnum primer is called for.
    Why would you want a LR Magnum primer in .308? I don't even like them in Magnum cartridges. The whole point of Palma brass is to get a consistent ignition in 308 and allow shooters to load hotter ammo.

If I was in your shoes wanting to buy a 308Win rifle for hunting, I'd buy factory loaded 147gr or 150gr FMJ 308Win or 7.62x51 to start off with.
    Why mess with ammo that won't match the performance/characteristics of the actual powder he will use?

It's unlikely that you'd be able to load 308Win for less given that you're having to buy the brass.
    By using Palma style brass, his casings will last for much longer than Large primer brass. There's some savings there. Plus he knows his brass better since he'll re-use it all the time.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    It's not really the question you asked, but I think that you're letting the tail wag the dog. Buying small rifle primer 308Win brass may cost you performance and money in the long run. A SR magnum primer just isn't going to do when a LR magnum primer is called for. If I was in your shoes wanting to buy a 308Win rifle for hunting, I'd buy factory loaded 147gr or 150gr FMJ 308Win or 7.62x51 to start off with. It's unlikely that you'd be able to load 308Win for less given that you're having to buy the brass. Use this factory loaded ammunition to sight in the rifle. You'll end up with brass that's been fireformed to your chamber. Then resize this once fired brass using full length sizing dies to bump the shoulder back 0.003" to 0.004". This will give you great feed reliability while keeping the brass as tight in the chamber as you'd want for hunting.
    .308 doesn’t call for a magnum LR primer.

Those shooting F-T/R and pushing .308 to its limits are all CHOOSING the PALMA brass for more consistent results, longer lasting case heads, etc. Many won’t entertain large rifle primers anymore.

Buying the military stuff to shoot, dealing with lower quality brass, prepping the primer pockets, etc is chasing your tail. The brass won’t last as long. The excuse of “sighting in” with it is silly as that shouldn’t take but 3-5 rounds, when when you load an actual hunting bullet, you have to sight in again.

At the end of the day buying Lapua brass, especially the PALMA is going to be a winning endeavor so long as you do it right and follow the process.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast