Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 308 small rifle primer brass

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Why would you want a LR Magnum primer in .308? I don't even like them in Magnum cartridges.
    Why mess with ammo that won't match the performance/characteristics of the actual powder he will use?
    Quote Originally Posted by mRad View Post
    .308 doesn’t call for a magnum LR primer.
    Reloading manuals often call for magnum primers when loading 308Win with ball powders. In addition, they're often used when people will be hunting in cold weather where ignition is more important than squeezing another 1/4" of accuracy out of a load. Note that I didn't say use magnum primers all the time. I'm just making the point that when you'd need a LR magnum primer, a SR magnum primer isn't equivalent.

By using Palma style brass, his casings will last for much longer than Large primer brass. There's some savings there. Plus he knows his brass better since he'll re-use it all the time.
    Those shooting F-T/R and pushing .308 to its limits are all CHOOSING the PALMA brass for more consistent results, longer lasting case heads, etc. Many won’t entertain large rifle primers anymore.
    He said "hunting". Is one really going to wear out cases while hunting? It would take years. He also didn't say long range target shooting designed to push 308Win to its limit. That's a different scenario all together.

Buying the military stuff to shoot, dealing with lower quality brass, prepping the primer pockets, etc is chasing your tail. The brass won’t last as long.
    I'm not talking about surplus military brass. I'm talking about new production 308Win or 7.62x51 with a 150gr FMJ bullet.

The excuse of “sighting in” with it is silly as that shouldn’t take but 3-5 rounds, when when you load an actual hunting bullet, you have to sight in again.
    It's not an excuse. There's just no point in paying the same or more for components when you're just trying to get close to where the hunting bullet will hit. FMJ bullets are significantly less expensive. Sure you'll need to further sight in with your actual load, but the factory load will get you 75% of the way there. Plus, by using cases that have been fired once in your chamber, you'll be using sized cases that you can resize specifically for the headspace of your chamber.

At the end of the day buying Lapua brass, especially the PALMA is going to be a winning endeavor so long as you do it right and follow the process.
    Many things that provide significant benefits for target shooting are not significantly beneficial when it comes to the practical hunting applications. Proper hunt planning and scouting will have far more of a significant impact on the hunt than the cases used or case prep procedures. I'm confident in saying that Lapua brass is likely used in less than 1% of the successful hunts in North America.

Anyway, this is just my take for the OP to consider. He can do whatever he wants. He'll likely be successful either way. I sort my semiauto pistol cases by manufacturer and lot. Most say that it's a waste of time and the reality is that they're mostly correct, but I enjoy doing it anyway.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Reloading manuals often call for magnum primers when loading 308Win with ball powders. In addition, they're often used when people will be hunting in cold weather where ignition is more important than squeezing another 1/4" of accuracy out of a load. Note that I didn't say use magnum primers all the time. I'm just making the point that when you'd need a LR magnum primer, a SR magnum primer isn't equivalent.

He said "hunting". Is one really going to wear out cases while hunting? It would take years. He also didn't say long range target shooting designed to push 308Win to its limit. That's a different scenario all together.

I'm not talking about surplus military brass. I'm talking about new production 308Win or 7.62x51 with a 150gr FMJ bullet.

It's not an excuse. There's just no point in paying the same or more for components when you're just trying to get close to where the hunting bullet will hit. FMJ bullets are significantly less expensive. Sure you'll need to further sight in with your actual load, but the factory load will get you 75% of the way there. Plus, by using cases that have been fired once in your chamber, you'll be using sized cases that you can resize specifically for the headspace of your chamber.

Many things that provide significant benefits for target shooting are not significantly beneficial when it comes to the practical hunting applications. Proper hunt planning and scouting will have far more of a significant impact on the hunt than the cases used or case prep procedures. I'm confident in saying that Lapua brass is likely used in less than 1% of the successful hunts in North America.

Anyway, this is just my take for the OP to consider. He can do whatever he wants. He'll likely be successful either way. I sort my semiauto pistol cases by manufacturer and lot. Most say that it's a waste of time and the reality is that they're mostly correct, but I enjoy doing it anyway.
    He literally said he wanted to shoot midrange matches. Midrange is 600.

I’ve never seen a manual call for large rifle magnums for .308 Winchester. I can think of ZERO SITUATIONS where it would be beneficial. And yes, some brands of small rifle magnum primers will provide a larger flame than large rifle magnums. There is testing out there to show it. It is not necessary.

Buying 150 FMJs in .308 or 7.62x51 typically means bulk brass and crimped primers. Either way, it won’t get him anywhere ahead. If you need more than three rounds to zero you’re wrong. What’s he doing with the other 17? Then you still gotta zero again when you load your hunting rounds.

Again, he isn’t going to just hunt with the rifle and shoot a round a year. Why would you not choose to use the best components?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DixieGuns View Post
    This will mainly be for hunting. Projectiles will be 150gr Barnes TSX and and Hornady 150gr interlock.
    Mainly hunting and maybe a midrange match here and there. We(brother, myself, our sons, and our dad) are planning a guided antelope hunt in 2023 and I just want a nice kit to take with me. I will also be getting on a local hunting lease this spring.
    He literally said he wanted to shoot midrange matches. Midrange is 600.
    He also literally said "mainly" hunting twice.

I’ve never seen a manual call for large rifle magnums for .308 Winchester.
    Here's data from the Speer manual.
    https://loaddata.com/Cartridge/308-W...Manual-14/4915

I can think of ZERO SITUATIONS where it would be beneficial.
    Again, ball powders and freezing hunting scenarios are where they're typically used.

Buying 150 FMJs in .308 or 7.62x51 typically means bulk brass and crimped primers.
    Buying commercially loaded new production 308Win or 7.62x51, I've literally never encountered an issue with crimped primer pockets. Some are what I'd called mildly crimped, but no work is required. All brass is made in bulk. Lapua just has tighter specifications and quality control, which is why it costs so much more.

If you need more than three rounds to zero you’re wrong. What’s he doing with the other 17?
    Shoot them. Shooting is fun. Plus, you'll end up with once fired brass that's actually fire formed to your chamber. That's good for minimal resizing for hunting loads, but it's especially good for long range target shooting as the cases are often just neck sized.

Again, he isn’t going to just hunt with the rifle and shoot a round a year. Why would you not choose to use the best components?
    He should use the components that are appropriate for what he's doing. The bullets he listed are good hunting bullets and wouldn't be appropriate for 600 yard target shooting.

Feedback Score
    He also literally said "mainly" hunting twice.

Here's data from the Speer manual.
    https://loaddata.com/Cartridge/308-W...Manual-14/4915

Again, ball powders and freezing hunting scenarios are where they're typically used.

Buying commercially loaded new production 308Win or 7.62x51, I've literally never encountered an issue with crimped primer pockets. Some are what I'd called mildly crimped, but no work is required. All brass is made in bulk. Lapua just has tighter specifications and quality control, which is why it costs so much more.

Shoot them. Shooting is fun. Plus, you'll end up with once fired brass that's actually fire formed to your chamber. That's good for minimal resizing for hunting loads, but it's especially good for long range target shooting as the cases are often just neck sized.

He should use the components that are appropriate for what he's doing. The bullets he listed are good hunting bullets and wouldn't be appropriate for 600 yard target shooting.
    I’ve got Nosler, Hornady, Sierra, Accurate/Ramshot, and Hogdon load manuals on my bench and none call for a magnum. It’s unnecessary.

Any crimping needs removed. All the commercial 7.62x51 I’ve fired needed removed. It’s not a lot of work, but it’s part of it.

If you’re going to shoot for fun, you’ll do it a lot. Case life matters if you do it a lot. Your cases get formed to your chamber during load development. Buying ammo doesn’t contribute to his end goal. That ammo you suggest is for blasting, nothing more.

Neither he nor I suggested he use those bullets for midrange matches.

Feedback Score
    My apologies for any misunderstanding. While this will mainly be my hunting rifle I want a load, rifle, and optic combo will be capable on the firing line as well. I currently only shoot two center fire calibers. 9mm and 223.
    This upcoming hunt gave me the itch for a larger caliber rifle. I could’ve borrowed one from my brother, but I want my own setup. I picked 308 srp brass for one main reason. I have about 8k srp’s and zero lrp’s. As for as factory ammo goes, yeah I can shoot it but I enjoy loading my own. It’s kinda therapeutic. I haven’t decided on midrange projectiles yet. But they are definitely on my short list.

Feedback Score
    And yes, some brands of small rifle magnum primers will provide a larger flame than large rifle magnums. There is testing out there to show it.
    Got a link?

Feedback Score
    https://www.6mmbr.com/primerpix.html

Here is a good read on selections:

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting...imers.6936610/

I can’t seem to find the article anymore. It was in “A Rifleman’s Journal” IIRC. The Rem 7 1/2 M was the particular primer hotter than most any other primer.

Feedback Score
    I currently only shoot two center fire calibers. 9mm and 223.
    This upcoming hunt gave me the itch for a larger caliber rifle. I could’ve borrowed one from my brother, but I want my own setup. I picked 308 srp brass for one main reason. I have about 8k srp’s and zero lrp’s.
    Those small rifle primers will most likely work fine in your 9mm as well.

I stopped buying small pistol primers years ago because they (SRP) work fine in ALL of my small primer loadings be they pistol or rifle. Unless you have an ungodly light hammer spring in your firearms you should experience no issues.

Visit the AR15.com reloading forum and ask about this if interested. Many reputable and long time members will echo this sentiment and advice...

Feedback Score
    Also Tikka makes some damn fine rifles that run smoother than Salvage or Boogera.
    Their only downside is proprietary mags no? We've looked at those guns before, but it's chaos already with the mag and suppressor bag we haul out each week as it is.
    Eh not really a downside per se. Savage has its own mags too, depending on model. AI mags are slowly becoming standard.
    Proprietary mags are DEFINITELY a downside... Especially Savage's mags suck, but at least Savage is starting to sell more rifles using AI mags.

Doesn't Tikka make a "tactical" rifle that uses AI mags?

It's not really the question you asked, but I think that you're letting the tail wag the dog. Buying small rifle primer 308Win brass may cost you performance and money in the long run...

If I was in your shoes wanting to buy a 308Win rifle for hunting, I'd buy factory loaded 147gr or 150gr FMJ 308Win or 7.62x51 to start off with...
    Agreed, but instead of 147/150gr "ball" ammo, I would buy decent match ammo.

On the advice of this forum, my solution was to buy a bunch of Lapua factory .308 (on sale, years ago, from Brownells).

It wasn't cheap, but it shoots lights out (nothing is better in my Savage), and compared to buying virgin Lapua cases, it's not that expensive.

Buying the military stuff to shoot, dealing with lower quality brass, prepping the primer pockets, etc is chasing your tail. The brass won’t last as long.
    Depending on the OP's budget, this might not be such a bad solution... It would be more prep work, but cost less.

The guys on the M14 forum have sorted out which milsurp ammo is fairly accurate and which brass is is well suited to reloading... Enter the rabbit hole!

Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Those small rifle primers will most likely work fine in your 9mm as well.

I stopped buying small pistol primers years ago because they (SRP) work fine in ALL of my small primer loadings be they pistol or rifle.
    On the other hand, primers are cheap and compact, so storing 2 or 3 different kinds is no hardship. I currently have 4 different kinds plus variations in brand, and stacked tens of thousands deep they all still fit on one 36" bookshelf.

Also, it takes me <10 minutes to change my RL550B over from small to large or back.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    On the other hand, primers are cheap and compact, so storing 2 or 3 different kinds is no hardship. I currently have 4 different kinds plus variations in brand, and stacked tens of thousands deep they all still fit on one 36" bookshelf.

Also, it takes me <10 minutes to change my RL550B over from small to large or back.
    I do regret not buying a few thousand LRP’s when they were readily available. I did set up some in stock alerts, but for the time being I’ll try my luck with the Peterson srp brass and go from there. My son will be leaving me his savage 308 to play around with until I get my rifle.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast