Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 308 small rifle primer brass

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mRad View Post
    Eh not really a downside per se. Savage has its own mags too, depending on model. AI mags are slowly becoming standard. I believe the Tikka CTR mags are the same as a TRG, and the hunting rifles are little polymer jobs that work great. If a guy wants AI mags, lots of conversions out there by buying new bottom metal. If you’re building up a complete gun, the replacement chassis systems all use AI mags.
    Accuracy International magazines are remarkably expensive. For a .308 action why isn't the SR25 pattern the standard instead?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Accuracy International magazines are remarkably expensive. For a .308 action why isn't the SR25 pattern the standard instead?
    They don’t work well in bolt actions. There are only a few out there they take them and they are unreliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Accuracy International magazines are remarkably expensive.
    At least Magpul's aren't so crazy expensive.

Also, since it's a bolt action, you probably don't need THAT many mags (as compared to a semi-auto).

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the input in this thread. It’s given me quite a bit of info to do some research on.
    Prior to this thread I had zero idea what AI mags were. That’s how green I am to bolt guns.
    While I’m stashing cash to the side for the optic/rifle, I just want to make sure I have reliable ignition and good, consistent velocities through my hand loads. Yes they will be fired from a different rifle at first, but it should give me a good start for when I acquire my own. Or am I completely off the rails thinking that? Lol
    I will be loading them to length called out in manual and full length sizing. I’ll save the “y” distance from shoulder and “x” distance from lands for when I get my rifle.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mRad View Post
    They don’t work well in bolt actions. There are only a few out there they take them and they are unreliable.
    Why is this? I thought feeding in a bolt action would be less demanding than a gas gun, not more.

Feedback Score

308 small rifle primer brass

Why is this? I thought feeding in a bolt action would be less demanding than a gas gun, not more.
    Look at the location of the magazine release and how high the lips are in relation to the bolt. Bolt guns weren’t designed for it.

Even the actions that are modified to function that way have trouble. Look at the AI, the case is under the control of the lips of the magazine til the bullet is in the chamber. An AR bolt is control of the round from the time it’s released from the magazine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mRad; 01-05-22 at 17:05.

Feedback Score
    308 Win small rifle primers brass was first introduced by Remington as the 308 BR back in the 70’s.
    Today Lapua and few others. It’s a chase for lower ES/ED. I tried it wasn’t worth the trouble and went back to normal Large Rifle primers brass in my 308 Win.
    Last edited by RedTeam98; 04-09-22 at 23:32.

Feedback Score
    Add IMR 8208 to your list for the 308 Win and 150gr / 130gr

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeam98 View Post
    It’s a chase for lower ES/ED. I tried it wasn’t worth the trouble and went back to normal Large Rifle primers brass in my 308 Win.
    It's a matter of matching the right primer and powder. Too mild of a primer and ignition sucks, too hot and it defeats the purpose.

I too abandoned it for now because although it works, I lost velocity on the same powder charge when I A/B tested against large primers.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=markm;3025399]It's a matter of matching the right primer and powder. Too mild of a primer and ignition sucks, too hot and it defeats the purpose.

I too abandoned it for now because although it works, I lost velocity on the same powder charge when I A/B tested against large primers

I have used mostly WW brass Palma 92 with Varget

I have noticed years ago Varget and CCI BR2 primers performed great together.
    With IMR 4064 I still use the Fed 210M and FC GM Brass
    Last edited by RedTeam98; 04-10-22 at 09:33.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast