Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: M&P Slide failure

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    Dear Manufacturers, please make guns that work.
    15 years and 25K rounds fired is not bad - most owners will not fire 25K rounds in a lifetime.

Andy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The M&P has a more significant parts replacement schedule published in their armorer's manual. OP, what did you do to your gun through the 25k?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    15 years and 25K rounds fired is not bad - most owners will not fire 25K rounds in a lifetime.

Andy
    I really like the M&P series. And the things that have broken are few and far between. I just hope I can get it back in service for many more rounds.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    The M&P has a more significant parts replacement schedule published in their armorer's manual. OP, what did you do to your gun through the 25k?
    I was not aware that an armorer's manual existed that was published. After reading your post I went and looked it up and did not see a "schedule" in what I could find on line. The things I have replaced either through wanting something I considered better, or it wore out or broke include...the sights, the trigger and sear (Apex Tactical), the striker, the trigger bar, the extractor, the slide stop, trigger return spring, recoil spring. The last 6 were stock parts. All these stock parts, except the slide stop, were replaced because of wear, the slide stop was replaced because it broke.

If you know where a maintenance schedule may be seen, I would certainly like to see it.
    Last edited by TomMcC; 12-31-21 at 11:48.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cutter_spc View Post
    I have a low round count 1.0 spare slide. If Smith doesn't do you right, I will make you a good deal. But I'm betting they will upgrade you to a 2.0. Keep us posted please.
    Thanks, depending on what happens with Smith I may be in touch.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    I was not aware that an armorer's manual existed that was published. After reading your post I went and looked it up and did not see a "schedule" in what I could find on line. The things I have replaced either through wanting something I considered better, or it wore out or broke include...the sights, the trigger and sear (Apex Tactical), the striker, the trigger bar, the extractor, the slide stop, trigger return spring, recoil spring. The last 6 were stock parts. All these stock parts, except the slide stop, were replaced because of wear, the slide stop was replaced because it broke. If you know where a maintenance schedule may be seen, I would certainly like to see it.
    Somewhere around here I posted PM table. Can't find what I'm looking for, but here's a list I posted in another thread.

On the M&P striker, here's a snapshot of parts replacement schedule for the M&P 9/40, published in the armorers manual:
    every 5k- replace slide stop, trigger return spring, RSA, coil pins, magazine spring and follower
    every 10k- replace trigger bar assembly, striker assembly
    every 20k- replace locking block, takedown lever and retaining wire, magazine catch, striker block, spring, and spacer, ejector
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Somewhere around here I posted PM table. Can't find what I'm looking for, but here's a list I posted in another thread.
    It looks like I need to make a list for some of these parts and hit Midwest Gun Works.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Called Smith this morning. The gun is going back to Smith, they're paying the shipping. The nice lady said it will take 6-8 weeks including the return. So, I'll be spending the morning stripping the sights and Apex trigger out of it and putting the stock stuff back on it.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    With your round count I would imagine Smith is interested in inspecting your pistol. I would think they rarely see high round count pistols that are privately owned. I'm guessing they will rebuild the whole pistol. David

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitehorne View Post
    With your round count I would imagine Smith is interested in inspecting your pistol. I would think they rarely see high round count pistols that are privately owned. I'm guessing they will rebuild the whole pistol. David
    They never asked me the round count, but some things obviously show wear. There is wear on the external surfaces of the barrel, but the rifling looks almost new, since 95% of the rounds I've fired through it were my reloads with Hytek coated lead bullets. The slide shows holster wear, as well as things like the locking block. Some of the parts (trigger bar, and others) I put back in this morning, I had replaced along the way because they were broken or showing wear. It will be interesting to see if they replace anything besides the slide.

P.S. I did not put in any broken parts, everything I put in revolved around removing and replacing aftermarket parts they would strip out and toss and I didn't want to lose.
    Last edited by TomMcC; 01-03-22 at 15:56.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast