Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Suppressor Length on 10.3 barrel

Feedback Score

Suppressor Length on 10.3 barrel

I have a 10.3 inch barrel AR and what I am planning on doing is buying a can for each of my fighting guns this one included. The 2 suppressors I am looking at are the Silencerco Saker 556k and the full size Saker 556. I am wondering on a 10.3 if the 556k will suppress sound good enough or if I should just go with the full size Saker 556. I like the idea of keeping the gun as short and light as possible hence why I like the 556k but obviously I will get better sound suppression out of the full size Saker 556, but if it is only minimal is it worth it to just buy the K version? If anyone has any two cents about suppressing short barrel ARs and going with smaller cans it would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Nice you are getting one of each can, why not just swap back and forth as needed depending on what you are doing? Neither can will stop the rounds from breaking the sound barrier, so both are still going to be loud.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Nice you are getting one of each can, why not just swap back and forth as needed depending on what you are doing? Neither can will stop the rounds from breaking the sound barrier, so both are still going to be loud.
    I have a 10.3 build and a 16 inch middy build and I plan on building a 12.5. The plan is having all 3 builds with their each can that just lives on them I am gonna go with the Saker 556k for the 12.5 and 16 inch. I just don’t know what to do with the 10.3. I like keeping it as compact as possible. If the suppression is only minimal for going with the full size Saker then I kinda want to go with the 556k but I’ve never run a small can on this build. I have an Omega 300 I’ve run on it but I want to be able to go with the 556k if it suppresses well enough.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Do you want the ambient noise quietest or the Shooter's position? Cans on short 5.56 sucks no matter what. But a quieter db rated suppressor CAN cause more "port snap" and back pressure/Bolt speed.

I've noticed on some ARs, a smaller/mini can actually is less snappy for the shooter. We were just discussing this on Sunday, and MY ideal can for my 10.5 AR would be a Short, Light, 30 cal can. I've grown to like "over-bored" cans for almost everthing. I just put a M4-1000 on it, and it's a boat anchor. Sounds and runs good, but too long and too heavy.
    Last edited by markm; 12-28-21 at 14:26.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score

Suppressor Length on 10.3 barrel

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Do you want the ambient noise quietest or the Shooter's position? Cans on short 5.56 sucks no matter what. But a quieter db rated suppressor CAN cause more "port snap" and back pressure/Bolt speed.

I've noticed on some ARs, a smaller/mini can actually is less snappy for the shooter. We were just discussing this on Sunday, and MY ideal can for my 10.5 AR would be a Short, Light, 30 cal can. I've grown to like "over-bored" cans for almost everthing. I just put a M4-1000 on it, and it's a boat anchor. Sounds and runs good, but too long and too heavy.
    This is very interesting. With the added back pressure of a full size can and the bolt unlocking and opening faster did it actually make it sound louder to the shooter from the added back pressure noise coming from the action opening faster letting more gas out through the action? Couldn’t this problem be solved from just adjusting the gas block or going with a heavier buffer? I already have a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block on my 10.3.

Last edited by a1madrid; 12-28-21 at 14:37.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Cans on short 5.56 sucks no matter what.

Yup, which is why I would go short and live with it. Longer cans make things sound a little quieter, but since they are still so loud anyway, I don't see the point in making a little gun a long heavy. The MK18 is a great example.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by a1madrid View Post
    I have a 10.3 inch barrel AR and what I am planning on doing is buying a can for each of my fighting guns this one included. The 2 suppressors I am looking at are the Silencerco Saker 556k and the full size Saker 556. I am wondering on a 10.3 if the 556k will suppress sound good enough or if I should just go with the full size Saker 556. I like the idea of keeping the gun as short and light as possible hence why I like the 556k but obviously I will get better sound suppression out of the full size Saker 556, but if it is only minimal is it worth it to just buy the K version? If anyone has any two cents about suppressing short barrel ARs and going with smaller cans it would be greatly appreciated thank you.

What does good enough mean? That’s probably going to be entirely subjective and not something anyone can really determine for you. Along the lines of what Stick said though, if you’re already set on the K for the longer ones, just start with that and when you get it, put it on the 10.3 and make your own decision.

Or if you want to buy several at a time, get one of each and try it. Having three of the exact same QD suppressor isn’t the most practical so I’d buy one full length and one K before going number 2 and 3 of the exact same can.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by a1madrid View Post
    This is very interesting. With the added back pressure of a full size can and the bolt unlocking and opening faster did it actually make it sound louder to the shooter from the added back pressure noise coming from the action opening faster letting more gas out through the action? Couldn’t this problem be solved from just adjusting the gas block or going with a heavier buffer? I already have a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block on my 10.3.
    Maybe. Depending on the set up, ammo, etc. Years ago, I had THE MOST SWEET 11.5 suppressed set up with an adjustable gas block (functionally speaking). It was perfectly gassed. BUT... the port snap was so painful for my right ear that it could not be fired without ear pro AT ALL.

I tore it all down and reconfigured the parts elsewhere.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Maybe. Depending on the set up, ammo, etc. Years ago, I had THE MOST SWEET 11.5 suppressed set up with an adjustable gas block (functionally speaking). It was perfectly gassed. BUT... the port snap was so painful for my right ear that it could not be fired without ear pro AT ALL.

I tore it all down and reconfigured the parts elsewhere.
    I’m gonna be running a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block with a VLTOR A5 buffer system shooting mostly XM193. I want to smooth out the recoil impulse and slow down the cycling for the smoothest setup suppressed possible while still being able to function reliably.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've not used a Superlative.. but on the AGBs I've tried, there's really only one setting that both restricts, and still functions. The blocks we've run are in no way highly "tunable" but they definitely are better than no restriction. I hope you have good luck getting your desired result.

And be careful with that XM193. I've had end cap strikes shooting that sloppy stuff when I VERY first got my suppressor. We've gone to almost all high quality bullets when it comes to pushing them through a can.... and we've still managed to chew up some baffles and caps.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast