Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Suppressor Length on 10.3 barrel

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by a1madrid View Post
    I’m gonna be running a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block with a VLTOR A5 buffer system shooting mostly XM193. I want to smooth out the recoil impulse and slow down the cycling for the smoothest setup suppressed possible while still being able to function reliably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Install an A5H2 and Sprinco green spring. Close the gas block until the AR ejects but does not lock back. Then, open the gas block until it ejects and locks back. Test fire a few times to ensure reliable function.

A suppressor may not be hearing safe, but it is safer than unsuppressed.

In general, for better sound suppression, given the choice between a longer suppressor on a shorter barrel, or going with a longer barrel with a short suppressor, I'll take the longer barrel and shorter suppressor.

I run an Omega on an 11.5 inch barrel. I shoot that configuration more than any other.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I've not used a Superlative.. but on the AGBs I've tried, there's really only one setting that both restricts, and still functions. The blocks we've run are in no way highly "tunable" but they definitely are better than no restriction. I hope you have good luck getting your desired result.

And be careful with that XM193. I've had end cap strikes shooting that sloppy stuff when I VERY first got my suppressor. We've gone to almost all high quality bullets when it comes to pushing them through a can.... and we've still managed to chew up some baffles and caps.
    Are you sure its the ammo and no something with the barrel/mount? I know 193 isn't great but that's surprising to me.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Install an A5H2 and Sprinco green spring. Close the gas block until the AR ejects but does not lock back. Then, open the gas block until it ejects and locks back. Test fire a few times to ensure reliable function.

A suppressor may not be hearing safe, but it is safer than unsuppressed.

In general, for better sound suppression, given the choice between a longer suppressor on a shorter barrel, or going with a longer barrel with a short suppressor, I'll take the longer barrel and shorter suppressor.

I run an Omega on an 11.5 inch barrel. I shoot that configuration more than any other.
    Good information thank you! What do you think about running a Saker 556k on a 10.3 barrel? I’ve run my Omega 300 with a 5.56 end cap on my 10.3 but I’ll be honest I really want to keep the gun as compact as possible if I’m not sacrificing too much sound/flash suppression.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I run a specwar 556k in my 10.5". Not sure how similar it is to the Saker shorty, but FWIW.

Gas and port bark are minimal. I have no idea if it is "hearing" safe but I assume not, still loud. MUCH less than without the can. Concussion/blast under cover and "indoors" is much less as well. Slightly shorter than a 16" with the can on.

Not sure if the Saker is as tough as the Specwar. MarkM has a good point about going overbore.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I shoot a 556k and an Omega on 11.5" SBR's and a RC2 on a 12.5" (none of them are hearing safe but better than nothing at all). I understand your wish to keep a short rifle as compact as possible and think that the 556k will serve you well. I also have a Surefire Mini that stays on a 14" gun- it is noticeably louder than the RC2 and Saker on my 11.5" and 12.5" uppers. I don't have any 10.3" to make a more accurate comparison.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    I shoot a 556k and an Omega on 11.5" SBR's and a RC2 on a 12.5" (none of them are hearing safe but better than nothing at all). I understand your wish to keep a short rifle as compact as possible and think that the 556k will serve you well. I also have a Surefire Mini that stays on a 14" gun- it is noticeably louder than the RC2 and Saker on my 11.5" and 12.5" uppers. I don't have any 10.3" to make a more accurate comparison.
    I understand and expected it to not be textbook hearing safe, but my 10.3 just feels so good to do close quarters work with and keeping on the compact side is what I’m leaning towards. And I was actually thinking of using a flash hider end cap from Silencerco to keep the flash down better also. I really think a Saker K with a flash hider end cap is what my gut wants and I already knew that with either of the cans they both won’t be textbook hearing safe and I can live with that as long as it still does a “good enough” job at doing what a suppressor is supposed to do which is sound/flash suppression.

Feedback Score
    I checked. The Saker 556K now runs the blast baffle from the old specwar, it'll hold up fine. It's a little longer and 3db louder (which doesn't really matter).

It'll work well.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    My 6" QDC puts my MK18 at the exact same length as my pinned 14.5s.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    I checked. The Saker 556K now runs the blast baffle from the old specwar, it'll hold up fine. It's a little longer and 3db louder (which doesn't really matter).

It'll work well.
    It was made for a military contract and I’m pretty sure they designed the blast baffle to withstand more blast or positioned it in a way to be more durable or something like that.

Feedback Score
    The specwar had a stellite blast baffle to resist wear and hold up a little better to more destructive blast of short barrels. I am told that the Saker K was "redesigned" a couple years ago to include the stellite baffle and a slightly longer blast chamber. The Saker is more or less the next generation of the specwar.

I am not a can expert. I've BSed with Pappas a few times. That convinced me how much there is to know regarding suppressor tech. And it is as much art as science, but a lot of both.

ETA: The Sandman K would be a good choice for you as well. But so would some others. There are a lot of good cans out there.
    Last edited by utahjeepr; 12-29-21 at 11:34.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast