Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Suppressor Length on 10.3 barrel

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Get the lightest can that met your needs. For me, that is the YHM Turbo K (or some newer 5.56 dedicated like Energetic ARX).

There is no AR-15 in 5.56 that is hearing safe. Why hang an anchor off your 10.3" to save 3-5db, when you should wear plugs/muffs anyhow? I am stuck with an original Trek, at 18oz, and its works ok. I just wish the Trek was about 8-10oz lighter.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by a1madrid View Post
    I have a 10.3 inch barrel AR and what I am planning on doing is buying a can for each of my fighting guns this one included. The 2 suppressors I am looking at are the Silencerco Saker 556k and the full size Saker 556. I am wondering on a 10.3 if the 556k will suppress sound good enough or if I should just go with the full size Saker 556. I like the idea of keeping the gun as short and light as possible hence why I like the 556k but obviously I will get better sound suppression out of the full size Saker 556, but if it is only minimal is it worth it to just buy the K version? If anyone has any two cents about suppressing short barrel ARs and going with smaller cans it would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would go with the shorter, lighter can. It says right in your OP that you want to keep the gun as short and light as possible. Keep it that way, amplify the strength of that build which is that it's short and light, rather than trying to compensate for it's weakness with a longer heavier suppressor, where you'll end up with something mediocre that's nearly as long and heavy as a 16" rifle. Keep it short and light and sweet.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayrevolver View Post
    Get the lightest can that met your needs. For me, that is the YHM Turbo K (or some newer 5.56 dedicated like Energetic ARX).

There is no AR-15 in 5.56 that is hearing safe. Why hang an anchor off your 10.3" to save 3-5db, when you should wear plugs/muffs anyhow? I am stuck with an original Trek, at 18oz, and its works ok. I just wish the Trek was about 8-10oz lighter.
    I was trying to go into this topic unbiased towards leaving either way but this is kind of what I was hoping to hear to be honest and what my gut was thinking too. My 10.3 with my Omega with a 5.56 end cap would still be very loud indoors with no ear protection. I am leaning towards keeping the strength of the build the strength by keeping the gun as compact as possible.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkland View Post
    I would go with the shorter, lighter can. It says right in your OP that you want to keep the gun as short and light as possible. Keep it that way, amplify the strength of that build which is that it's short and light, rather than trying to compensate for it's weakness with a longer heavier suppressor, where you'll end up with something mediocre that's nearly as long and heavy as a 16" rifle. Keep it short and light and sweet.
    That’s what I’m leaning towards doing is going with the Saker K and I would even throw the Silencerco flash hider end cap on there which will keep visual muzzle flash down a little better especially at night. Saker K with a flash hider end cap I feel like is a good setup. Still small, keeps concussion down, and should keep muzzle flash at night at a minimum.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    My 10.3 with my Omega with a 5.56 end cap would still be very loud indoors with no ear protection.
    A suppressed AR indoors is about like shooting a 9mm pistol outside with no ears. It's a tremendous amount of energy to harness. And the super sonic crack is harsh.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    A suppressed AR indoors is about like shooting a 9mm pistol outside with no ears. It's a tremendous amount of energy to harness. And the super sonic crack is harsh.
    Have you shot short barreled ARs inside with smaller cans and how was that experience?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Have you shot short barreled ARs inside with smaller cans and how was that experience?
    I only shot a 14.5 carbine with a "regular" sized can in an abandoned trailer out in the sticks. It was barky as hell. (My house gun is an unsuppressed 11.5 because I don't care... if I have to shoot in the house, noise is the least of my problems)
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Indoor environments vary. From the superdome to small closets.

In smaller enclosed spaces an unsuppressed SBR is nearly equivalent to a flashbang. Suppressed is MUCH less. Frankly I don't notice any difference between my specwar k and a full size can.

Kinda like drinking a tall glass of whiskey vs an ounce. Call a small size can a "heavy" ounce

ETA: Fixed my metaphor
    Last edited by utahjeepr; 12-30-21 at 15:41.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Much more pleasant than shooting any kind of unsuppressed AR indoors!

I did some test firing with the suppressor on an 11.5 inch upper in my basement. It was loud enough I was glad I was wearing earmuffs (and had my wife wondering what the hell I was up to) but it wouldn't have been deafening without the muffs.

Without the suppressor, muffs and earplugs are required. You should have seen the looks I got at the indoor range!
    Last edited by MistWolf; 12-30-21 at 19:55.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Much more pleasant than shooting any kind of unsuppressed AR indoors!

I did some test firing with the suppressor on an 11.5 inch upper in my basement. It was loud enough I was glad I was wearing earmuffs (and had my wife wondering what the hell I was up to) but it wouldn't have been deafening without the muffs.

Without the suppressor, muffs and earplugs are required. You should have seen the looks I got at the indoor range!
    Were you shooting with a smaller or full size can?

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast