Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used bolt, new barrel - Gunsmith?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Used bolt, new barrel - Gunsmith?

I'm planning on having a used upper rebuilt (with unknown round count, though looks newish) with a new barrel. I'm going to have a gunsmith do the work and I'm not exactly sure what to ask him to do in order to check that the new barrel and used bolt are compatible. I'm vaguely familiar with the idea of checking headspace, is that what I need to ask him to do? Any other checks I should have him perform?

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    If you get both bolt and barrel from reputable suppliers headspace shouldn't even need checking. I wouldn't put the used bolt back in as cheap as quality BCGs are.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Agreed. Unless one of the parts is really worn looking, you're fine assuming they're good parts to start with.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Have the gunsmith check head space, or buy your own barrel changing tools and head space gauges.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I suggest using one of your new spare BCGs with the new barrel.

If you don’t have a new spare BCG, then buy a new BCG for the new barrel and make the used one an emergency spare.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Rebarreling an upper isn't really gunsmithing, any reason why you don't just do it yourself? Headspace gauges are inexpensive

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    If you get both bolt and barrel from reputable suppliers headspace shouldn't even need checking. I wouldn't put the used bolt back in as cheap as quality BCGs are.
    Agree about replacing the bolt along with the barrel but...

I would keep / reuse the same carrier he already has if it is in good condition as it is already mated to the upper he is reusing.

A new carrier is going to add a lot of wear to his used upper (while it becomes mated) for no good reason. The one he has already likely has a lot of miles left in it before needing any attention.

Feedback Score
    ^^^ This. A new quality bolt is cheap, keep the old one for a spare.

AR headspace ain't much of a thing. I have gauges so I use em but... I would imagine your smith will too, just cuz.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    ^^^ This. A new quality bolt is cheap, keep the old one for a spare.

AR headspace ain't much of a thing. I have gauges so I use em but... I would imagine your smith will too, just cuz.
    Agreed. By the time you've paid a 'smith, you could have just bought a new bolt and popped it in. That's what I'd do.

Feedback Score
    If its out, what are you going to do? What can a gunsmith do in this case that you cannot?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast