Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Was thinking of going 6.5 Grendel for SBR but now I'm not sure...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DwayneZ View Post
    300hamr though is like 125c/rnd brass, aac is getting near 74c/rnd brass.
    For reloaders .300 HAM'R brass can be formed easily from 5.56.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderson View Post
    I think you don’t see much chatter about 6.5 Grendel cause it’s not new, doesn’t mean it’s not in use.

Used to see a lot of threads about .458 Socom, now not so much, but no one’s abandoning it. I don’t see much chatter about 6.8 spc, it’s still in use and easy to find on the shelves.

I got into 6.5 Grendel for the steel case, fortunately have a bunch stacked so we’ll see what happens.

Bill Alexander got Barnaul to make it, so it’s possible a country that’s not banned from import can start making it.

6.5G is a great long range caliber, flat shooting like 5.56 with 123 gr. bullets.

I shoot it out of a 20” and a 12”, and while I’m not going out to 500 yards I see no difference in drop.

But I don’t reload so if steel case goes away then I’m probably done with 6.5G.

If 200 yards is your max range, there’s lots of other calibers.
    right here, end thread
    it's expensive, unless you reload you lost 7/8ths of the gun community
    import restrictions; can't fathom why no one has gone to chile or peru and set up ammo plants for US
    range considerations; how many people with ARs are really shooting 800 yards plus

before anyone answers, remember the saying; all politics are local. This absolutely applies in many regards

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DwayneZ View Post
    300hamr though is like 125c/rnd brass, aac is getting near 74c/rnd brass.

I'd get 300 prc bolt, or stick with the common ar15 rounds, or stomach the cost of boutique ammo.
    How so? Same brass, same bullets...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    How so? Same brass, same bullets...
    From the prices listed he is referring to presently available loaded ammunition. .300 Blackout has been around longer and there is a better supply as a result.

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/300aac-bla...o=new&ca=brass

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/300-hamr?co=new&ca=brass

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    From the prices listed he is referring to presently available loaded ammunition. .300 Blackout has been around longer and there is a better supply as a result.

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/300aac-bla...o=new&ca=brass

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/300-hamr?co=new&ca=brass
    Oh, yea well with factory ammo that would be a no brainer. Whatever wildcat cartridge I end up with I'll probably only ever shoot my reloads.

Feedback Score
    I'm running a 12" suppressed 6.5 Grendel as my main coyote gun now, and it's a great round. I also hunt coyotes with .224 Valk, but the 6.5 Grendel hits harder.

I definitely wouldn't say 6.5 Grendel is dead, but factory ammo right now is ridiculous for it (but i guess factory ammo for everything is crazy high right now).

Feedback Score
    I had a 20, and still have a 16 and 12 inch Grendel.
    The 16 is a really well balanced overall rifle. I would dare say it is the most balanced weapon I own. The 12 inch gun is super capable for it’s size.
    Hornady 123 was my preferred load when I could find ammo and gave 2350 from the 16 and 2242 from the 12 suppressed. The speeds aren’t great, but the BC of that bullet really makes a difference when you start getting out past a few hundred yards. Within a few hundred yards, it doesn’t matter much. I think as barrels get shorter the 6 mm ARC advantage decreases. The 16 matches the Sig 1-6 7.62 reticle just about perfectly out to 1K.

I think you have to ask yourself what kind of weapon you want and then match a cartridge and optic to that need. Look at realistic numbers, and run them through a Ballistic Calculator. Also consider the logistics. I’ve done wild cats in the past and I have no desire to go back down that road. Grendel is rare enough. I don’t want to spend my time reloading anymore.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    So around 2017 all the rave was 6.5 Grendel in 12" or shorter barrels. More energy than 5.56 out of a 20" barrel. Supersonic out to 800 yards.

But then around 2020 all the talk stopped.

Now I read a recent thread that said 6.5 Grendel is obsolete now. Anyone know what is the deal with this?
    IMHO, the deal is the 6mm ARC.
    Also, out to 500 yards, I really like the WC 300 HAMR.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    IMHO, the deal is the 6mm ARC.
    Also, out to 500 yards, I really like the WC 300 HAMR.
    +1
    If gonna boutique a SBR in 6.5, use 6.5arc.

But SBR for 800yds? SBR 300blk is what I would do, and leave 800yds to something better suited for the job.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234