Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting .40 s&w out of a 10mm

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Shooting .40 s&w out of a 10mm

Watching a Mr. G&G 10mm s&w review yesterday, mr.g&g said it's fine to shoot .40 s&w out of a 10mm.
    What's the consensus on this. If possible/positive can a .380 out of 9mm be just as ok?
    I think it could work but is it with out adverse side effects?
    God, Family, Freedom.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Don't these cartridges headspace from the front of the case? What keeps the .40 from chambering too deep; the extractor?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Don't these cartridges headspace from the front of the case? What keeps the .40 from chambering too deep; the extractor?
    Yep, just the extractor. I guess it's enough to get a primer strike, but is it safe? Right.
    God, Family, Freedom.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Yes.

I have heard it said and seen it done without incident that Glock extractors are strong enough to keep a .40 cartridge from entering too deeply into a 10mm chamber. Honestly, though, with .40 barrels being available for 10mm handguns (Glock at least), I question why anyone wouldn't just buy one and eliminate the risk.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There's no good reason to do any of that.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    And NO. You can't shoot .380 in 9mm. It's not like .38 spl/.357 mag where the dies are the same.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    And NO. You can't shoot .380 in 9mm. It's not like .38 spl/.357 mag where the dies are the same.
    Is Mr Guns & Gear right about the .40 in a 10 mm? Or just the me on the .380 in 9mm.
    I am asking because I figured .40 is shorter than 10 mm in length, it can't headspace correct if too short.

Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    There's no good reason to do any of that.
    Yeah, that's what I thought. But he is saying the manual says no but it's totally fine.
    I was surprised Mr. Guns & gear was saying that on a S&W sponsored video.
    I figured It something people started doing, IDK. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    Yes.

I have heard it said and seen it done without incident that Glock extractors are strong enough to keep a .40 cartridge from entering too deeply into a 10mm chamber. Honestly, though, with .40 barrels being available for 10mm handguns (Glock at least), I question why anyone wouldn't just buy one and eliminate the risk.

Right a Glock barrel or S&W m&p are $150 little more little less depending on brand.
    God, Family, Freedom.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    i accidentally shot a9mm projectile out of a380 case from a9mm pistol and it shot fine. Note the case got jammed in the gun and it was pain in the ass getting it out but it fired

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Its not a stellar idea, but .380 will fire from a G19, 228, or M9, from the mag, but it will not cycle on its own. I don’t know if the same is true of .40 in a 10mm chamber.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Its not a stellar idea, but .380 will fire from a G19, 228, or M9, from the mag, but it will not cycle on its own. I don’t know if the same is true of .40 in a 10mm chamber.
    Oh I didn’t do it on purpose. I didn’t know what happened until I got the brass out and knew immediately.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast