Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Most efficient cartridge loadings

Feedback Score

Most efficient cartridge loadings

Thinking about getting into reloading and was wondering about the powder usage of various loads . 9mm vs.357 for example.
    Or is it all pretty linear, mass and velocity require x number of grains.
    Trying to figure out where I should put my efforts towards initially. Was thinking of starting with .38 and .45.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Most efficient cartridge loadings

.38 special, 9mm and .45acp will have the least powder per cartridge.
    You can load several thousand rounds of either with a pound of powder. Look at loading data to see approximate powder charges.

.357 mag will take a higher powder charge and likes a slower powder like AA9, 2400, H110, or Win296 depending on how fast you want to push it. Now .357 mag can be down loaded using powders for .38 special to lighter loads too.

It is not quite linear and bore size and bullet weight are factors along with desired velocity. Most data sheets are based on a bullet weight and configuration with a variety of powders and velocities.
    Last edited by lonestardiver; 12-28-21 at 20:47.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ike838 View Post
    Thinking about getting into reloading and was wondering about the powder usage of various loads . 9mm vs.357 for example.
    Trying to figure out where I should put my efforts towards initially. Was thinking of starting with .38 and .45.
    It depends on what you are trying to do with your loads and your firearms.

You 'could' choose a fast burning powder like Bullseye for your .45 and load very inexpensively. 5 grains is a classic 230 grain hardball loading that will make a lot of bullets per lb of powder. Very economical powder when looking for standard velocity loadings with that round in standard firearms.

That same powder would NOT be what you would want for say +P loadings or greater. If that is what you wanted to do a slower powder like AA#7 is what you need to get there and keep your pressure levels in the safe territory. It will require more powder and not be so economical but you can't get to the same places velocity wise safely with the faster powders.

Or say if you were loading for a compensated .45 or 9mm - A faster powder may get you to the velocity you want at a low charge weight but will produce less gasses than a slower powder with a greater charge weight needed to get to the same velocity. Compensators work by redirecting gasses. Less powder = less gasses. Fast powders that are more 'economical' are not what you want here.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thinking about getting into reloading and was wondering about the powder usage of various loads . 9mm vs .357 for example.
    With 9mm vs. .357, the main difference is case volume. You can stuff only so much powder into a 9 vs. .357. They both operate at close to the same pressure at maximum (35k psi) but because of the volume difference the powder they use is different. Faster powder for 9, slower powder for .357.

If you have a .38 revolver and a 1911 or something like that, by all means start with what you have. There are many good powders for each. These days, it just depends on what you can get at this time in your area. .38 and 45 ACP can use the same powder. I don't load 45 anymore, and 38 very rarely, but when I did and do, I like Trail Boss. One of the reasons I like it is that it burns pretty clean, but mainly you can't double charge a case because it is so fluffy. Looks like little Cheerios.

And try not to lose your mind and/or go broke trying to get primers. It's tough right now. If you have a bunch already...more excellent.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Powder charge per round of almost any pistol is going to be pretty efficient compared to rifle. When I started reloading my goal was sorta similar with .223.

I'd forget that goal, and work towards the best ammo you can make. A pound of pistol powder goes a LONG way.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Yea, just load for the guns you want to shoot. That will lead you to determine bullet, powder, etc.

Feedback Score
    Unless you're talking big magnums (.44, .454) handgun cartridges don't use much powder, and powder will be your cheapest component on a per-round basis (generally 1-2¢/round or so).

Example: My loads for .40S&W range from 4.3 to 5.0 grains of powder, which I bought for <$20/lbs (in an 8lbs drum). Five grains of powder costs about 1.4¢. No big deal.

More "efficient" powders tend to be faster burning, which are serendipitously suited for lighter loads... If I ever get around to switching from Unique (slower) to Clays (faster), then I'll only be using 3-4 grains of powder for the same loads.

If you're looking to reload for cheap, then focus on finding a source of cheap primers and (best of all) a source of cheap bullets...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Depends on your goals, I guess.

I started with .45ACP. Great to start with, easy and very forgiving.

One thing I love about Titegroup as a powder is like it says on the bottle, a little goes a long way.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    Depends on your goals, I guess.

I started with .45ACP. Great to start with, easy and very forgiving.

One thing I love about Titegroup as a powder is like it says on the bottle, a little goes a long way.
    I really like Titegroup for that reason.

To the OP, there are 7,000 grains of powder in a pound so the vast majority of loads for 9x19, .38 spl, and .45 ACP will load 1,000 rds(or more) per pound.

Another thing to keep in mind is correct charges for .45 ACP and .38 spl will usually leave most of the case empty so be very careful not to double charge.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yeah, I usually count on 1,000 rounds (give or take) per pound with pistol powder, 250-300 for rifle (.223).

With .38spl you also have the additional factor of getting the roll crimp right.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast