Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Most efficient cartridge loadings

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You should start with 45 Colt and buy a SAA clone in 45 Colt.

Thank me later

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post

Another thing to keep in mind is correct charges for .45 ACP and .38 spl will usually leave most of the case empty so be very careful not to double charge.
    More difficult to have an accidental double charge if using a slower powder like AA#7. If doing visual inspections before seating the rounds you would definitely notice that. With faster powders like Bullseye that use so little powder it is a lot more difficult to see...

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    You should start with 45 Colt and buy a SAA clone in 45 Colt.

Thank me later
    I would suggest 357 Magnum to a beginning reloader over 45 Colt.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 01-08-22 at 09:28.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I would suggest 357 Magnum to a beginning reloader over 45 Colt.

Andy
    Anything with the word "magnum" in it should not be suggested to a beginner reloader.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Anything with the word "magnum" in it should not be suggested to a beginner reloader.
    This from the guy recommending starting with 45 Colt in a SAA? Every 357 Magnum revolver ever made will safely fire 38 Special. Tons of data and components to load anything from mouse fart 38 Spl wadcutter target loads to full power 357 Mag hunting ammunition.

I load and love the 45 Colt, but it has a huge case for smokeless powder loads at SAA pressures.

Andy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Just use Trail Boss, problem solved! HA!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    This from the guy recommending starting with 45 Colt in a SAA? Every 357 Magnum revolver ever made will safely fire 38 Special. Tons of data and components to load anything from mouse fart 38 Spl wadcutter target loads to full power 357 Mag hunting ammunition.

I load and love the 45 Colt, but it has a huge case for smokeless powder loads at SAA pressures.

Andy
    So start with black powder then

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    More difficult to have an accidental double charge if using a slower powder like AA#7. If doing visual inspections before seating the rounds you would definitely notice that. With faster powders like Bullseye that use so little powder it is a lot more difficult to see...
    This is a very key point, visually it's very difficult to detect double charges with the super fast (and most efficient) powders.

231 is about the fastest I ever used, and I really prefer unique, blue dot, etc. And I use a ton of 2400 for revolver magnums and rifle blooper loads in 308/3006 cartridges.

231 I used in 45 in one of the classic loadings and with a big fat short case you've got a better chance of visually confirming things.

38/357 I would go with unique just because it's user friendly and extremely flexible. Probably the classic powder for that cartridge.

I literally started loading 357 in the mid 70s with a Lee hand loader, some used cases, and unique. Wasn't even driving yet, but bought powder, primers, and lead bulk bullets from the LGS.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Absolutely not the case, something like 357 Magnum is about the safest way to start loading as they are very strong to start with. And very flexible/friendly cartridges to reload.

Case capacity is such that it would be difficult with reasonable powders to get in trouble. Which is why you'd want to avoid the super fast powders initially.

I might agree if you said trying to reload Magnum cartridges to maximum potential as your first step is not a good idea.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ike838 View Post
    Thinking about getting into reloading and was wondering about the powder usage of various loads . 9mm vs.357 for example.
    Or is it all pretty linear, mass and velocity require x number of grains.
    Trying to figure out where I should put my efforts towards initially. Was thinking of starting with .38 and .45.
    What type of shooting do you do or want to do? What sort of firearms? A .38 and a .45 (I assume Special and ACP, respectively) would be good places to start as there is tons of data out there, components are relatively cheap, powder use is minimal and the brass can go a long way if not pushed too hard.

Full-blown .357 loads are going to use more powder than 9mm, but full-blown loads aren’t always necessary or desired.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast