Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Most efficient cartridge loadings

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Not a single follow up question or comment from the OP. He must be too busy sorting through all the available components at cheap prices to post anything.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've found any of the standard pistol cartridges to be easy to reload for. I get a lot more satisfaction with rifle reloading.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Not a single follow up question or comment from the OP. He must be too busy sorting through all the available components at cheap prices to post anything.
    Just ordering things piecemeal. Have some #450 magnum and #400 srp on the way from Midway. Ordered Grendel cases, dies ,case gauge and grendel loading manual from Alexander Arms. Ohaus 505 scale from ebay. Lee Breechlock hand press to start loading pistol rounds with . Considering a set RCBS .45 dies with their primer deal to get started.
    Will probably gets MEC Marksman for loading the Grendel if I stick with it. I figure I will be buying pieces and parts for next couple of months. Thanks for all the help.

Would Hodgon Titegroup be appropriate for .45 ACP target/plinking loads for a beginner?
    Last edited by ike838; 01-15-22 at 19:18.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I dont see why not. Great powder, one of my favorites, have used it for multiple pistol calibers including .45ACP.

As others have said, be aware that as it is a fast burning powder, the charge will be a small volume, and it WILL be possible to fill a case with double the charge, so as with all reloading, pay attention to what you do. Easy enough.

And I highly recommend RCBS carbide 3-die sets for pistol cartridges. They are excellent.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post

And I highly recommend RCBS carbide 3-die sets for pistol cartridges. They are excellent.
    They make special seater stems for their Gold Dot bullets.

Shot them an email telling them I bought a bunch of those and they sent me the GD stems for free. 9mm and .45 GD seaters and all I had to do was ask...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    This is a very key point, visually it's very difficult to detect double charges with the super fast (and most efficient) powders.
    Not just that but when pushed to the top (or very near it) - Those faster powders can be very unforgiving of seemingly minor differences in charge weight.

An extra grain of AA#7 does not act the same as an extra grain of Bullseye.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Titegroup is relatively inexpensive, and a little goes a long way. I get like 13-14,000 rounds of 9mm/jug, and .45acp would be about the same. Like others have said, it is possible to double-charge, as are many pistol powders suitable for .45 ACP. Grab a Nosler manual in addition to a manual from whoever makes your bullets; Nosler lists load densities. According to 9th Edition, powders that would be less likely to miss a double-charge include: 185gr Green Dot, N320, Power Pistol; 230gr Unique.

Of course, none of those are available at Brownells right now. Maybe they could be found elsewhere.

I personally would start with a revolver, if you have one. They’re simple to load for and fun with mild loads. I started with a Ruger in .45 Colt, but the .38/357 mentioned earlier would be good. With that said, just load for what you have, and follow the book verbatim, including all the boring stuff at the beginning. If Titegroup is what’s available, buy some and just pay careful attention. If you want to load .45acp, go for it.

Feedback Score
    Maybe a stupid question but are there any disadvantages to using a swc projectile to learn with? Would a fmj be more forgiving for a novice? Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ike838 View Post
    Maybe a stupid question but are there any disadvantages to using a swc projectile to learn with? Would a fmj be more forgiving for a novice? Thanks again.
    Yes, FMJ is going to be more forgiving for a novice.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Titegroup is relatively inexpensive, and a little goes a long way. I get like 13-14,000 rounds of 9mm/jug, and .45acp would be about the same. Like others have said, it is possible to double-charge, as are many pistol powders suitable for .45 ACP. Grab a Nosler manual in addition to a manual from whoever makes your bullets; Nosler lists load densities. According to 9th Edition, powders that would be less likely to miss a double-charge include: 185gr Green Dot, N320, Power Pistol; 230gr Unique.

Of course, none of those are available at Brownells right now. Maybe they could be found elsewhere.

I personally would start with a revolver, if you have one. They’re simple to load for and fun with mild loads. I started with a Ruger in .45 Colt, but the .38/357 mentioned earlier would be good. With that said, just load for what you have, and follow the book verbatim, including all the boring stuff at the beginning. If Titegroup is what’s available, buy some and just pay careful attention. If you want to load .45acp, go for it.
    I have a GP 100 and an Australian beater Service Six that I just picked up 500 rounds of PMC 132 grain from Rainier Arms for $240 or so shipped so not really feeling the need at that moment. My supply of Wilson Combat .45 reloads is getting down there right now and I thought starting with that caliber made sense.
    My stock of 9mm is good and when you can get it for $15 or $16 shipped from Norma shooting I don't hate the price so I am not in a real hurry to head down that road quite yet.
    30/30, Grendel,.357 and to a certain extent .45ACP's current pricing is what is motivating me to finally take the plunge into reloading.
    I found the titegroup in stock at powdervalley so that is why I asked about it. I will take a look for the other suggested powders as well.
    I am hoping that between using a handpress ,manual scale and my sailmaker's OCD I will not have any double charges.
    Is .38 Special easier to load for?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast